Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

p14 rifle

Woody_be
Belgium

p14 rifle

#1 Post by Woody_be » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:28 pm

So today i was able to buy a new p14 rifle in 303.having done some research beforehand i saw a stock with no fingergrooves so i expected a eddystone. Price was good and i dont have a p14 lets go get it if the bore is owkay. So i went and was pleasntly surprised it was a remington. Mismatched stock i presumed... Untill i came home and looked closely,no fixed front voleysite or back unit disk fix. Hmmm to my knowledge the pre ww2 weedon changes did not change the stock or not without marking it. Nowhere on the stock or the chamber can i find a * or mk1/mk2.
First thing i always do eith any new firearm is dismantle it top to bottom and clean every grain of schmutz. So maybe i get some more info. I took of some minir parts already and found on the sight an (e) for eddystone parts and on the buttplate a (w) for winchester... So i got a mix of everything. Bolt barrel en breech are same number wich is 71501.
Maybe you guys/experts can give me some more info or tips what to look for or what i got. Will let you know my progress with it. ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

72 usmc
United States of America

Re: p14 rifle

#2 Post by 72 usmc » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:19 pm

Go to a great paper on the P14 at the Virigina Gun Collectors Association : www.vgca.net
go to education col. look to the right side and see the list of articles :arrow: :arrow: then look up the: UK Pattern 13 14 and US 1917 by Marc Gorelick you can down load the reference if you have a newer computer, if old 2001 mac junk like mine it no longer reads it. A great paper on the Pattern P14 and US 1917.

http://www.vgca.net/education/TheUKPatt ... -09-17.pdf
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Woody_be
Belgium

#3 Post by Woody_be » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:17 am

Thank but like i said, I did my research on it. That obe i actuality printed out and took with me on the sale. Here now some further pics of the barrel and chamber marks. ImageImageImage

72 usmc
United States of America

#4 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:40 am

I can not tell from the few photos, but is the stock a P 14 or US M1917 stock? The holes on a P14 hand guard are .05 inches behind the inletting for the lower barrel band . On a US 1917 hand guard the rivit holes are .35 inch behind the barrel band inletting. Is yours original American black walnut, English Walnut or WW II replacement birch? The lack of the finger grooves makes me think its a Eddystone stock that would be lacking finger grooves and since no plug is present at a marking disc hole it is most likely a post 1930 Eddystone stock put on after undergoing arsenal repair or redo. On a replacement US M1917 stock the inletting is larger for the magazine hole on a US M1917 stock than a P14. If used on a P14 there is a slight gap due to the larger inletting for the M1917 30-06 magazine box. You would also have finger grooves on a M1917. Mine has a US M 1917 stock with the gap and has finger grooves. Is that stock in its original finish? Or was it refinished, I can not tell from the photos. Is that a thicker Eddystone Fat stock?

Here is an early Remington RE in an Winchester M1917 stock arsenal redo
IMG_1089.JPG
IMG_1094.JPG
IMG_1093.JPG
IMG_1088.JPG
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

72 usmc
United States of America

#5 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:25 am

The receiver markings on this early RE
IMG_1091.JPG
IMG_1090.JPG
IMG_1092.JPG
Your wood finish looks better. Mine is well worn and has many dents heavily oil rubbed and cartouches well worn down.
IMG_1096.JPG
Last edited by 72 usmc on Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Woody_be
Belgium

#6 Post by Woody_be » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:35 am

At the moment i inspected it further and found a hairline crack on the underside so sanded it down and glued it back together with sawdust in the glue so it wont differenciate in color, sadly i can see that the sanding took a bit of color and i think after the glue dried and is made smooth i will have to restain the stock a bit... Shame but i dont like cracks. Stock was original finish but no marks so i tend to think its a replacement. Found also a big weld on the back apenture sight protective ears... Maybe war damage? It was overpainted with black paint and not faided blueing. Magazine box fits very snugly at the bottom. No gap at all

Hippycrowe
United States of America

#7 Post by Hippycrowe » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:15 am

Thats a nice rifle they are much stronger than #1mk3 or #4 rifles I have one and really like it. I think they are more accurate than other 303 rifles have you shot it much yet

Woody_be
Belgium

#8 Post by Woody_be » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:21 pm

Have shot it yesterday for the first time, like it. But i need to get used to the trigger breaking so far behind (very clean but a lot of travel to get there). Had some problems with the brass that i had gotten for free with the purchase of the rifle. Half of them were perfect other half did not completly chamber... Pmp brass.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#9 Post by Rapidrob » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:25 pm

Be careful with the brass that will not chamber. If fired in a SMLE they may be too long and separate at the base if full length resized and fired again. A common problem.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

Woody_be
Belgium

#10 Post by Woody_be » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:29 pm

Got the brass to chamber. Apparently it came from his jungle carbine and had formed to that chamber wich must be very very much larger then mine. Had to full lenght resize, not only neck. Here the rifle is finished, a bit darker but the fix for the crack held up even after shooting it. ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “British Empire and Commonwealth”