http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 10:06 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Agree the shooter makes the difference. My favorites are my 6 groove SC 03A3, the Garand, and my 1898 Krag.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:05 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

im a go for 03-a3 especially if you wrap your own. gotta love their sight picture, its by far my best shooting rifle, I have to go with the 03 since I have only shot a k31 once. ps the straight pull although it works fine it feels way to weird lol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:54 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

We all have our favorites. But if you are really looking for the "most accurate" then you should look at the matches where they are fired head to head.

That would be the CMP Vintage Rifle Matches. Not all rifles are equal, so the CMP divides them up into catagories.

That Garand Match
The Springfield Match
The Military Match

The Military Match consist of all other surplus military rifles.

If you go to the matches, or if you check the CMPs, competition section of ODCMP.COM, you'll find out the winning scores come from the Springfield Category.

Also the CMP gives out badges, gold, silver and bronze, in each category, if a certain score is met.
The cut off scores for the Springfield is the highest, followed closely by the Garand, and then the Military or all others.

The Springfield category covers the M1903 and M1903a3. The best scores are fired with the 'a3, not because its more accurate, but with the rear peep sight, and longer sight radius, its easier to shoot accurately by most people.

Also when you move to the Vintage Sniper Matches, the M1903a2 (often called the M1941) Marine Version or the M1903A4 normal win the matches.

The M1917 is pretty accurate, and a good one might keep up with the springfields, but it lacks the windage adjustments. Also, for me anyway, the Cock on Closing Bolt, cost me a few points in Rapid Fire.

Not to say the odd Swiss, or Swede, or others might be the exception, but that is the exception. On the whole, none beat the M1903/A3s.

This isn't one man's opinion, its fact borne out by the scores fired in head to head completion.

Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:49 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

The big three I hear the most about are K31, M96 Swede, and Finn M39. I can attest to the M39 being very sweet and easy handling.
I have a 1917, the bolt and the trigger are nowhere near as nice, but that's just talking about the "feel". I've never had a chance to really test what they can do