http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MAS 45 .22 rifle
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:06 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

I assume these were used by the French military after WWII. Was wanting to know opinions of how you think they shoot if you have one, as well as the value/ shoot ability of same. One is listed as going to come up for action at the first of next month and I need to know if I should try to buy it. Have not seen a picture of the actual rifle to know if it has been scoped and if it has I will pass. Another rifle I think I NEED. They seem to fetch rather high prices on line. Thanks for any info.

Post subject: Re: MAS 45 .22 rifle
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:31 pm 

A great massive .22 trainer. I have won our 200 yard matches shooting this rifle. The weight of the rifle provides a very stable platform for a .22LR rifle. The magazines are well made and always feed.
If it has been drilled and ruined, I too would walk away.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:50 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

I had one years ago. Wish I had kept it. Shot great with target type ammo. I used it for prairie dog control in an area that a high powered rifle would not be safe. It was very accurate.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:07 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:27 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

As others have noted, these are very well made and accurate rifles. Selling prices online are running around $450 to $550 presently. That's not a high price considering the quality of materials and machining. You'd never find the equal today for less than $1500 new.

Attachments:
IMG_4158.JPG
IMG_4158.JPG [ 765.09 KiB | Viewed 1472 times ]

Frequently wrong, never in doubt!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:17 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

DMG4, wow what a beautiful rifle.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:46 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

...absolutely love mine :D ....I'm surprised!....I dont hear much discussion about them anymore....they sell for that much these days...????? :shock: ...last time I shot mine it was a very windy day...target was dancing in the wind so much I had to time my shot with the swing of the target-at 100yds...and still all my shots were grouped in the size of an 8" paper plate... :) ....an older pic of mine below....

Attachment:
mas3.jpg
mas3.jpg [ 441.41 KiB | Viewed 1212 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:50 pm 
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Get one if you can. I bought one that is in pristine condition and have never been sorry.

I believe they were made on Mauser machinery in the French occupation zone after the war.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:59 am 

The early Mauser 45 trainers built by the Germans were single shooters with a 660mm barrel, The French engineers modified the product to a 5 shots repeater with a 610mm barrel.

Oberndorf was captured by the 1st French army on April 20, 1945 and was in the French controlled sector of West Germany.

An inventory of the Mauserwerk factory after Victory day led to the decision to use the German workers still available at Oberndorf to carry out the assembly of the stockpiled components of the various fabrications laying around, and Mauser HSC, P 38, P08, Stg 45, MG 42, were assembled from parts under French supervision.

In 1946, the Russians formally complained about the use of the Mauserwerk factory by France, under pressure from the USA, the french transferred the fabrication facility and some of the personnel to France.

The fabrication of the Mauser 45 was transferred to MAS, the stockpiled parts with Mauser stamped receiver and butt plates was soon consummed and the newly made components had MAS markings.

kelt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:50 am 
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

I've seen pictures of dual marked Mauser 45's...both "MAS" and the Mauser banner. Must have been made from the left over "works in progress".