Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

A nice 6th Series Type 99 local auction find

Arisaka, Murata, Siamese, Korean, and North China Rifles
lthilsdorf
United States of America

A nice 6th Series Type 99 local auction find

#1 Post by lthilsdorf » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:11 pm

It's not too often I find local auctions with decent Japanese rifles in them, so I placed an absentee bid on this one at a small estate auction 45 minutes from me and found out today I won. I picked it up and grabbed a few photos of it. Not much history known about it from the estate. It was an elderly woman who passed and never had a husband. Looking up her obituary shows she had a few brothers but I couldn't find much on them either. It seems at least one was drafted and served in the army, but not much beyond that.

It's a decent matching 6th series, which is one I haven't come across yet. Mum is ground and the screws have been buggered with, but I'll replace those eventually. Other than that it looks complete and in nice shape. Has alot of dust and grime on it and clearly was sitting somewhere for some time. Light surface rust on some areas, so I'll take care of that too.

Enjoy the photos!

B32dominator
United States of America

Re: A nice 6th Series Type 99 local auction find

#2 Post by B32dominator » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:54 pm

Nice rifle, mines about 20,000 newer than yours but they looks pretty similar.
Attachments
IMG_0956.JPG

lthilsdorf
United States of America

#3 Post by lthilsdorf » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:38 am

That's a nice 6th series too! Looks exactly like mine! It's interesting how this series still has good quality to it, but you can see the little things starting to creep in with the cylindrical bolt handles.

B32dominator
United States of America

#4 Post by B32dominator » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:01 pm

lthilsdorf wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:38 am
That's a nice 6th series too! Looks exactly like mine! It's interesting how this series still has good quality to it, but you can see the little things starting to creep in with the cylindrical bolt handles.
Completely agree, I think if it still had the larger "plum" shaped bolt handle it may be the perfect stream lined rifle. Removed all the extra nonsense and made a real battle rifle.

Would you mind adding it to the survey I'm trying to get going? I'm trying to narrow down transition points.

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewto ... f=15&t=639

Return to “Japanese and Far East Rifles”