Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Shrapnel hit type 38 carbine

Arisaka, Murata, Siamese, Korean, and North China Rifles
burban89
United States of America

Shrapnel hit type 38 carbine

#1 Post by burban89 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:25 am

Here's an interesting one for ya. I picked up this little gem at a small gun show where a seller was liquidating a local ww2 Navy vet's estate. Among the various rifles was this little gem however it was missing the butt plate and cleaning rod so I used that to get the price lowered a bit and I walked out of the show with it for $300. It still has the mum and is matching aside from the dust cover which is only a couple numbers off. What struck me as odd was a hole in the stock near the muzzle end and after closer examination I found that there was a foreign piece of metal that had impacted and lodged itself in this carbine at an angle. I've tried using a magnet to see if it was magnetic but those results were inconclusive at best however it has hit in a way such that the cleaning rod catch doesn't function properly and any rod that gets put in it will not stay in. Also after finding a correct butt plate and screws I found out that not only were the screw holes stripped but the entire stock had shrunk due to improper storage. I managed to fix the screw holes with a little shaved wood clippings and a bit of two ton apoxy but I got the butt plate put back on. Later on while taking it apart I found an old field repair to the magazine follower spring that is being held together with a small chopstick and tightly woven wire. This definitely was a hell of a find for the show it was at since there wasn't much else there but now it has a great home in the collection.
Attachments
image319.jpg
image319.jpg (33.15 KiB) Viewed 2373 times
image320.jpg
image320.jpg (26.77 KiB) Viewed 2373 times
image318.jpg
image317.jpg

B32dominator
United States of America

Re: Shrapnel hit type 38 carbine

#2 Post by B32dominator » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:34 am

Great little carbine. Looks like the original owner may have had a bad day. Have you taken the stock off to see what it looks like from the inside? Or are you unable to because the front catch won't depress due to the "foreign object?"

burban89
United States of America

#3 Post by burban89 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:14 am

I haven't pulled it completely apart as at least the screws by the trigger guard are still staked and I'd hate to risk damaging them. Either way it displays well without a cleaning rod.

Onikoroshi
United States of America

#4 Post by Onikoroshi » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:34 am

I have one that supposedly has been hit with shrapnel. Rifle was cheap enough to "buy the story".

Return to “Japanese and Far East Rifles”