Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Japanese sling

Arisaka, Murata, Siamese, Korean, and North China Rifles
26Intrepid
United States of America

Japanese sling

#1 Post by 26Intrepid » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:21 am

Hello, does anyone have knowledge on Japanese slings?

I recently purchased an old type 38 rifle (No series) that came with a leather sling. I know it’s not an original WW2 Japanese sling because the buckle is stitched and not free floating (Also has too many buckle holes and hole pattern is different). A few of my friends were saying it could be an old Japanese Murata sling. Does anyone know if this could be true? The internet doesn’t have any info on an original Murata sling, however, pictures of a Murata rifle with a sling looks similar to the one I have.

If a sling like this exists... does anyone have pics that I can compare it to? The sling definitely appears to be old and of a military type. It has a thick brass buckle and brass piece that connects to the front swivel mount. The sling itself is a bit longer than the original WW2 leather sling.

I was hoping to add pics but they turned out terrible. I described it the best I could.

Thanks
Attachments
C3424B22-133A-4D57-BF89-75A7E9BDCAE1.jpeg
AAAC8DB2-760E-494B-86C0-2146A4CA899F.jpeg

26Intrepid
United States of America

Re: Japanese sling

#2 Post by 26Intrepid » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:09 am

The rifle on the right has the sling in question. The two on the left have original WW2 Japanese slings for comparison. I don’t think it’s a repro, but I could be wrong.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#3 Post by 72 usmc » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:33 pm

Many moons ago the better reproduction Arisaka slings were made from old worn leather Swedish slings by a few guys and sold as reproductions. What you have is a Swedish Mauser 1896 sling redone as a faked Arisaka sling. The brass Button is wrong by a bit, and the buckle is close, but no cookies. Buckle is stitched. Better fakers cut the end & made the Swede sling so it folds over, but the wrong thickness and size give it a way as a Swede fake. To many holes and the wrong pattern holes. A nice fake that fools the non collectors due to naturally aged leather. The HOLE pattern can never be corrected & gives evidence of its Swedish origin. See
https://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=25027

https://forums.gunboards.com/showthread ... DATED-8-29*

see this ancient post; viewtopic.php?t=3020&start=15

originals https://forums.gunboards.com/showthread ... fle-Slings

some photos, reproduction & real comparisons from old notes:
IMG_2208.jpg
IMG_2207.jpg

Real brass button holders Arisaka, not Swede
IMG_2209.jpg
IMG_2210.jpg
swedish 1896 sling
200610420339_sling2520m96a-1.jpg
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

26Intrepid
United States of America

#4 Post by 26Intrepid » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:19 am

Hello sir,

Thank you so much for your informative response!

I knew this wasn’t an original WW2 Japanese sling because of the discrepancies you mentioned. I also didn’t think it was a pre-WW2 sling either because I couldn’t find any information to support that it was a Murata sling. It does appear to be old and some type of a military sling. Everything you said and forwarded makes perfect sense! Once again, thank you for solving this mystery,

I must say, this sling is in very good shape for its age. At least it’s an old sling that’s been faked and not a total reproduction from eBay! I think I feel a bit better! Grin

Have a great weekend sir!

Return to “Japanese and Far East Rifles”