Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Type 99 Short Rifle cleaning rod

Arisaka, Murata, Siamese, Korean, and North China Rifles
Bear
United States of America

Type 99 Short Rifle cleaning rod

#1 Post by Bear » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:48 am

There is a “WWII IJA JAPANANESE Type 99 Cleaning Rod” advertised on EBay for $18.71 from a seller called luckyline1945. Has anyone bought from him? He does not describe the length so I asked and he said “around 24””..
He says they are “field grade reproductions”. I’m looking for a repro but not sure about these or what IJA means??

junkbug
United States of America

Re: Type 99 Short Rifle cleaning rod

#2 Post by junkbug » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:43 pm

IJA is a common abbreviation for the Imperial Japanese Army. Likewise, IJN is the Imperial Japanese Navy.

Good luck with the repo cleaning rod. For $20 you just send your money and take a chance, If I wanted a cleaning rod, I would give it a try.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#3 Post by 72 usmc » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:07 pm

I am not sure of this seller or the products , but reproduction rods are not the same metal quality and most bend easy because they are not the same steel as an original. Threads may or may not work. Some like this one have a high gloss cheep finish, other brands have a more original finish. You need to pay attention to finish and the groove in the head. This looks like a poor example due to finish. Early War short rifle take a 23 7/8- 24 inch cleaning rod reporduction. Late war type 99s have the short rod. If the rifle is nice, I would consider an original. You may also consider this :
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-Arisa ... .l4275.c10
Gun parts, IMA, & atlantic cuttery as sources. I still think original is better.
I do not use reproductions, but... :think:
:arrow: :arrow: I have been told these are nice: Dons reproductions https://www.nambuworld.com/donspartslist.htm

Its been 3yrs since I contacted him.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Bear
United States of America

#4 Post by Bear » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:09 pm

Thanks for the ideas. I don’t plan to ever clean the rifle with it. I just need it to complete the rifle. I would love the 24” one for my rifle but I have other priorities for my meter $. Thanks!!!!

S.B.
United States of America

#5 Post by S.B. » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:39 am

I think the cleaning rod in my type 99 is much shorter than this one?
Steve

Return to “Japanese and Far East Rifles”