Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Arisaka Type 38 7/8th scale, youth training rifle

Arisaka, Murata, Siamese, Korean, and North China Rifles
Candyman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Arisaka Type 38 7/8th scale, youth training rifle

#1 Post by Candyman » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:29 pm

I stopped by a local pawp shop and saw this little trainer sitting off to the side. I asked if it was for sale and was told that the boss would have to price it and he would be in on Monday.
I stopped by the shop on my way that Monday and it was sitting on the shelf priced at $109.95. That seemed like a good price, but I had to try and get a little off.
I asked if they could work on the price and was told I could have it for $100 out the door. I told them if they would throw in a 30 cal military ammo can they had a deal. They said ok.
Now she aint pretty and it has an issue or two but I still think I got a good deal.

It looks like it was used as a kids toy. All the metal parts have been painted, most likley by someones Grandpaw that brought it home from the war.

It still has the cleaning rod.

The front band spring and swivel are missing.

I think these are the school markings.

These rifles were made by the Nambu company, starting in 1927 and running into the early 1930s. Most of them have no markings. Lt. Gen. Kijiro Nambu (the same man who developed the Nambu pistols and machine guns) started the company to make training rifles after his retirement from military service.
This rifle is chambered for 6.5 Jap. Most think that they were made to fire blanks, but Japanese blank cartridges for the 6.5mm were fitted with normal-size wooden bullets. The trainers actually used gallery rounds with very small and light projectiles. Here’s a photo of the different types of 6.5mm Japanese ammunition: The rifle would have fired the two on the right.

Urbanwolf
United States of America

Re: Arisaka Type 38 7/8th scale, youth training rifle

#2 Post by Urbanwolf » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:38 pm

$100!!!!! I would have broke my arm and had friction burns on my butt from how fast I would have pulled my wallet out for that deal! I think you did great!

vandle
Australia

Re: Arisaka Type 38 7/8th scale, youth training rifle

#3 Post by vandle » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:46 am

Thanks Candyman for a very interesting insight on these training rifles. You don't see them very often.
Life is tough, tougher if your stupid

Return to “Japanese and Far East Rifles”