Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Type 99

Arisaka, Murata, Siamese, Korean, and North China Rifles
Pauljbk
United States of America

Type 99

#1 Post by Pauljbk » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:34 pm

I know it's a bad picture but is there anything anyone can tell me about this type 99? It's my father in laws that was a take home from his dad who served in the coast guard. It won't let me add the other picture I have, says it's too large. Thanks
Attachments
20171120_193857.jpg

Geokop
United States of America

Re: Type 99

#2 Post by Geokop » Sun May 13, 2018 3:17 pm

I'll try to help, as would others here, however I personally can't make out many details from your photo. I don't see a series mark prior to the serial number, so yours may be a Nagoya arsenal "no series" rifle with an ESTIMATED production date of April - Sept. of 1941. One-hundred thousand rifles were produced in this series. What does the rear swivel look like? Does it have a longish, oblong or more rounded, oval appearance?
The bolt handle, safety, striker, and extractor numbers should match the last three digits of the receiver serial number. The bayonet lug should also match. The butt stock splice joint should run right through the rear sling swivel. I hope this helps.

burban89
United States of America

#3 Post by burban89 » Mon May 14, 2018 6:43 pm

I don't think the rifle in question is a Nagoya type 99 at all. First thing I see a serial number over 1,000,000 (1,963,269 I think is the number here), which each block of type 99s ended at 99,999 before going to the next series. This would indicate a type 38 instead of a type 99. Also I can see the Kokura (or Koshikawa) arsenal mark instead of Nagoya. What I think the OP actually has is a No series Koshikawa type 38 made just towards the end of when Koshikawa was making type 38s prior to the earthquake that moved production to Kokura.

lloydiam
United States of America

#4 Post by lloydiam » Tue May 15, 2018 8:25 am

Pauljbk wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:34 pm
I know it's a bad picture but is there anything anyone can tell me about this type 99? It's my father in laws that was a take home from his dad who served in the coast guard. It won't let me add the other picture I have, says it's too large. Thanks
http://oldmilitarymarkings.com/japanese_markings.html

Geokop
United States of America

#5 Post by Geokop » Tue May 15, 2018 4:25 pm

burban89, Good catch. I just couldn't see the image well enough to make a clear assessment. You know your stuff!

burban89
United States of America

#6 Post by burban89 » Tue May 15, 2018 8:07 pm

Geokop wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 4:25 pm
burban89, Good catch. I just couldn't see the image well enough to make a clear assessment. You know your stuff!
I wouldn't call myself an expert by any means but I do know enough to be very dangerous when it comes it arisakas despite them not being my primary collecting focus.

Geokop
United States of America

#7 Post by Geokop » Thu May 17, 2018 12:06 am

burban89 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 8:07 pm
Geokop wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 4:25 pm
I wouldn't call myself an expert by any means but I do know enough to be very dangerous when it comes it arisakas despite them not being my primary collecting focus.
You know enough to be a valuable contributor to our hobby, IMHO. Your posts / observations are spot on.

burban89
United States of America

#8 Post by burban89 » Thu May 17, 2018 1:28 pm

Thanks Geokop for the compliments! I really only started collecting militaria about seven years ago and my Japanese portion was only going to be restricted to just one example of arisaka but that grew very quickly to 16 different arisakas on top of all of my other milsurp bolt actions, which are my main collecting focus. I studied and researched a lot in order to at least know what I was getting into and everything else info wise I have a small but highly knowledgeable collecting circle of friends who've been collecting for several decades that have helped me out from time to time.
Back to the OP's rifle. It is a first generation series of type 38 known as a No series to collectors meaning it has a lack of a series mark preceding the serial number. The first ones were produced by the Koshikawa arsenal beginning roughly around the model's time of acceptance in 1905. They made a little over 2,000,000 type 38s there before an earthquake in the 30s forced production to move to the Kokura arsenal (hence why both arsenals have the same arsenal mark). With yours in the 1,900,000 range it would've been made near the very end of Koshikawa's production just prior to the earthquake. I have three different Koshikawa type 38s in my collection: an early 500,000 serial number range example that was used as a school rifle, a nice 900,000 serial number example that was captured on Guadalcanal, and a late 1,900,000 serial number example similar to yours. All three have their mums intact but only the late one is all matching.

Return to “Japanese and Far East Rifles”