Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Type 38

Arisaka, Murata, Siamese, Korean, and North China Rifles
JoeBlow33
United States of America

Type 38

#1 Post by JoeBlow33 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:25 am

Local gun dealer has a type 38 for sale. It is all matching and has the mum intact. Bore is very nice and finish is a nice even patina. Only thing I can see is that the front sight has been altered ( their are no sight guards). He is asking $600 What do you guys think. I know its high but these are getting hard to find.

slowbob2
United States of America

Re: Type 38

#2 Post by slowbob2 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:18 pm

About twice the going rate , unless it is a rare maker .

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#3 Post by 72 usmc » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:33 am

It best have an original sling, bring back papers and a matching dust cover to boot. I assume at that price it comes with the bayonet? And the altered front sight is a big concern for a collector grade rifle. Sounds like a common shooter. In WI a type 38 with matching bolt & mum lacking the above is approximately $250-350. It is sort of a region specific thing for prices. Any large gun show should have some intact shooters with or without the mum for much less unless you are a high roller and it's pennies to ya-then buy and enjoy shooting it.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#4 Post by Rapidrob » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:17 am

http://www.jgsales.com/-c-209_1210.html
You may get a better grade off rifle,not cheap but complete.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#5 Post by 72 usmc » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:50 am

Also look at your arsenal some Koishikawa type 38s did not have sight guards so you may have an intact rifle sight that was not cut. There were many changes in production- safety knobs being one of the many. The Jinsen star arsenal mark is a nice type 38 to have, likewise the circle in a circle mark of the Mukden is a nice one to find. So look at its markings. So we need more info to really say if the rifle was modified. Be sure the cleaning rod is present and it is not an aged reproduction. Check the bore for crisp rifling, no rust or pits-likewise the chamber for pits if you want a shooter. Make sure the firing pin was not cut. Was the stock refinished ? Also you do not indicate if it is a long rifle or a carbine- that factors in on price. Nice carbines intact, are a hard find. What is on the rifle? Does it have the Marines papers? so we need more info...
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Return to “Japanese and Far East Rifles”