Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

What long range load works for your Type 38?

Arisaka, Murata, Siamese, Korean, and North China Rifles
Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

What long range load works for your Type 38?

#1 Post by Rapidrob » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:18 pm

I tried a load given to me that does not work well. While my rifle has a tight .262 bore,the H450 load using a Privi 145 grain FMJ did not work well. The powder burned well but accuracy was poor.
I was told to use 38 Grains of H450 ( ball powder). While it may have worked well at 100 yards for the other shooter, it did not at 500. I was getting shots high/low for no apparent reason other than the powder I was using. I need a load close to 2,500 FPS which is still below the max operating pressure of this cartridge.
What have you found really shoots well at long range?(200 plus yards)
Thank you.
Happy New Year!
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

ammolab
United States of America

Re: What long range load works for your Type 38?

#2 Post by ammolab » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:10 pm

Hodgdon lists. 35gr of H335 for 2414fps as max load (140gr bullet) and no powders faster. NORMA shows nothing approaching that speed.

With your tight bore you might get 2500fps.

slowbob2
United States of America

#3 Post by slowbob2 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:03 am

I have and shoot over 100 Type 38 rifles . I have never seen a .262 bore . My smallest is .265 , average is .267 and all the early made rifles are .269 + . So you may have a fouled bore , or your measuring tool is just out of adjustment . What were the velocity readings ? The only way the powder could cause really big flyers is if you were not getting a good burn and had a real large velocity spread . On the other hand the wrong bullets are the main cause of flyers . Privi bullets are surplus grade . My best bullet is the Sierra 140 bthp match king . I once shot a T-97 sniper in a national bench rest match . By 100 yard average was .876 with a best of .624 and 200 yard was 2.44 . Also hitting 8 inch gongs at 300 - 500 yards has never been a problem . I have never reached 2500 fps with the 6.5mm J with a load that did not show pressure signs or that shot well .

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#4 Post by Rapidrob » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:30 am

It is a .2625 bore. It was double checked by two digital calipers. I have slugged bores for 50 years now.
The rifle shot the 140 grain .262 and .264vround nosed bullets very well. ( original Carcano bullets and Hornandy). I was using the Privi FMJ bullet. I tried one .266 bullet by Hornandy and saw very high pressure signs with a 2,2000 fps load.
I will try the Sierra MK.
What FPS are you seeing/using?
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member

slowbob2
United States of America

#5 Post by slowbob2 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:26 pm

What maker , series and serial number range rifle do you have ? I have never seen an original 6.5mm Carcano bullet that weighed 140 grains , nor one that measured .262 . All the original Carcano bullets I have by many makers and years are all 159 grains and .2665 dia . All my Hornady Carcano bullets measure .2675 , not .266 . Every thing you have seems to be about .002 to .004 smaller than everything I have ever seen . ?? Why would you shoot Hornady bullet that is normally .2675 , known to have too thick a jacket that causes pressure problems in a bore you thought was .262 ?

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#6 Post by Rapidrob » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:35 pm

I never said the bullet was 140 grains. I have no idea what factory made the bullets but they were bought by me many decades ago as being pulled from Carcano ammo and soft point bullets installed back in the 50's.
My calipers have been zeroed using a pin gauge. They read dead on. Since I do a lot of machine work making parts they have to be on.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#7 Post by Rapidrob » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:06 pm

I have several hundred of these bullets that were packed in cardboard boxes that contained 6.5 Carcano ammo at one time.
They only had the pulled bullets. They all read .2625 as the average body diameter,not the crimp. I've had these bullets for many decades.
As for the large bullet,it was the first round given to me by another shooter who was shooting them out of his Jap 38. The results got me to slug the bore of my rifle. His rifle has the larger bore.
6.5 bullets.jpg
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member

slowbob2
United States of America

#8 Post by slowbob2 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:54 pm

Those bullets look to be the old [ from the 60's ? ] .263 dia Hornady bullets with the crimp near the base . They are not Carcano military bullets . The Italian military never used a copper jacket , just nickel and later washed steel . Also if you had some good measuring tools like a micrometer you could get a better reading . Digital Verniers are just not that accurate and will change their readings by how hard you squeeze them . As I do real machining making custom rifles and gun parts , I would never use a digital vernier or a slide ruler . Please explain which T-38 the other guy had and why it has a " larger bore " .

BigMau
United States of America

#9 Post by BigMau » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:25 pm

Rapidrob... My T-38 bore slugged at .266 dia. I was able to hit a "man-size" paper target at 200 yrd (bullets all over the paper). I was loading up some Hornaday SP. and they measured .264 dia. So... I'm guessing my groups will improve with cast bullets sized to .268 dia.??

Return to “Japanese and Far East Rifles”