Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Recent pickup: Jinsen Type 38 "For Education" Type 38

Arisaka, Murata, Siamese, Korean, and North China Rifles
lthilsdorf
United States of America

Recent pickup: Jinsen Type 38 "For Education" Type 38

#1 Post by lthilsdorf » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:55 pm

A member of one of the Japanese rifle Facebook groups posted some photos of this "For Education" Jinsen Type 38 and asked for information on what it was. She wanted to know what school it was used for, since it didn't have the mum and was curious what it really was. It was purchased, with the Jinsen bayonet, about 30 years ago for $100 from the vet's son. The owner didn't know much about Japanese rifles and focuses on German items.

After speaking with her, she made it clear she wanted to sell it and I made an offer which was accepted. It was within reasonable driving distance from me, so I drove and picked it up and I'm pretty pleased with it overall. Hopefully you experts can chime in.

The general theory on these rifles is that they were made as test rifles by the Jinsen factory as they prepared for full production in the early 40's. These rifles would be used to show the workers what a proper finished example would be. Where the mum usually is stamped is a marking that translates to roughly "For Education". The dust covers are also unique to these rifles, and the writing on them translates to roughly "Not for use with live ammunition". These seem to have never been meant to be issued to the military. Production is estimated at 400, which makes them one of the most difficult to find Type 38's.

This is all just a theory, and many people could argue against it. The biggest counter argument would be why they would need to produce 400+ examples of these rifles to help "educate" the factory workers.

Mine is serial number 38, which hasn't been reported as far as I can see. The bolt body and safety are the only numbers that match on it. Front barrel band, floor plate, striker, extractor, bolt release, and all other metal parts have no serial number. The trigger actually does have an old assembly number on it that was partially scrubbed. The safety and bolt handle and blued, but the rest of the bolt body isn't. There is no assembly number on the receiver or barrel.

I believe the rifle may have been reblued, which is too bad, but with such a rare rifle like this I'm willing to look past it.

The dust cover is the correct type, but actually is to rifle number 146. It lacks a riveted guide, which I believe is correct. It has the correct writing on it too as far as can tell. I will ask the original owner if they added it, but considering they didn't seem to know what it was I'm not sure how they would have known to source this dust cover and where they would have found a spare correct for the rifle. Is is possible it was put on there by the Japanese or the GI?

Stock has the original finish and a Kokura proof on the bottom of the butt stock. It isn't numbered, but has several Kokura proofs on the inside of it and the hand guard as well. The stock does have the serial number "38" painted on the right hand side. Clearly looks to be old paint and in the same style as the few others I have seen online.

I'll let the pictures describe the rest. Assuming everything looks good to you guys, I think I got a decent deal. I paid $750 for the set. There are a few things that concerned me a bit, but I figured at this price I wouldn't pass it up.

Please share your thoughts and I appreciate your help as always!

wjh
United States of America

Re: Recent pickup: Jinsen Type 38 "For Education" Type 38

#2 Post by wjh » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:22 pm

Is it shootable? If not, what did they leave out so it couldn't shoot?

Return to “Japanese and Far East Rifles”