Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Late Nagoya Concentric Circle Type 38

Arisaka, Murata, Siamese, Korean, and North China Rifles
lthilsdorf
United States of America

Late Nagoya Concentric Circle Type 38

#1 Post by lthilsdorf » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:12 am

Picked this up from an online auction in Minnesota a few weeks ago and it finally arrived today.

It's a Nagoya Concentric Circle Type 38 with a pretty late serial number (2863). That would seem to make it a pretty late rifle as the highest mentioned in the Type 38 book is 2800. It has the main Nagoya traits for the CC series of Type 38's ('Mon' mark, scrubbed mum with the circles stamped over it, school markings on the butt stock). It's a bolt mismatch unfortunately, though there are some (possibly?) odd markings on the cup of the safety. Seems to be a later bolt as the handle is blued and the firing pin is not serialized.

Only other parts that match or have any serial number at the bayonet lug and the floor plate. The inside of the stock and hand guard are not numbered, and neither is the top tang. I couldn't get the magazine housing to come out, so I left well enough alone. The floor plate seems to have an older number scrubbed off and replaced the with new serial number.

The stock is Nagoya proofed and has some school markings branded into it. Any translation of where it was?

I'm very pleased with this despite the mismatched bolt, but the price I paid was well within the reasonable limit for such an otherwise nice rifle.

Enjoy the photos!

retread12345678
United States of America

Re: Late Nagoya Concentric Circle Type 38

#2 Post by retread12345678 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:43 am

Wonderful condition I have seen some Type 99s with concentric circle Is either model more frequently encountered than the other?

lthilsdorf
United States of America

Re: Late Nagoya Concentric Circle Type 38

#3 Post by lthilsdorf » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:45 pm

Personally I've seen more Type 99's than Type 38's with the markings. However I believe estimated production for both types is even at 5,000 each.

Return to “Japanese and Far East Rifles”