Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Siamese Type 66 range report.

Arisaka, Murata, Siamese, Korean, and North China Rifles
Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Siamese Type 66 range report.

#1 Post by Rapidrob » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:27 am

This is an update to a lost post from last week.
I took my Siamese Type 66 Mauser rifle to the range to test two diff bullets. Both are French 196 grain Spitzer Boat Tail MG bullets. One I sized to .3235 and the other as made .327
Both are pushed to 2,200-400 FPS using IMR-4320 powder. My rifle is in almost unissued condition. The bore is bright and shiny with sharp rifling.
My two rifles have a .327 bore when slugged. Others have reported the same findings.
At my altitude the bullets were shooting 8 feet high at 300 yards. It was not conducive to accuracy to hold low enough to allow hits on our 2x3 foot AR500 steel plate.
I installed a Brownell's "tall front sight blank for Mausers" and the bullets struck right on target.
After shooting twenty .323 re-sized bullets* I found them not to be the way to go. While I could get consistent hits the group were large and there were fliers that were off target by more than a foot.
The .327 bullets shot very well. Recoil was a little stouter and all bullets struck the target 10" higher on target. The group was around 6". Not too bad for such a thick front sight.
There were NO pressure signs what so ever. The bolt was butter smooth to open after firing. Primers were not flattened.
I had Ammolab shoot the rifle with the two bullets and he too saw the same results. .323's did not shoot well at 300 yards. .327's were right on target
I will try other bullets and post the results as finding the French MG bullets can be hard in most states. The Privi .329 bullets for the 8x56R will be the next test.
Remember the Siamese Mauser load is not a Barn Burner and is not meant to be. I fires a heavy bullet at a moderate velocity very accurately.
* Using the LEE .323 bullet sizer and lube die. Bullet run out after sizing shows no distortion of the core or the jacket.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

ammolab
United States of America

Re: Siamese Type 66 range report.

#2 Post by ammolab » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:23 am

That Siamese rifle is a real treasure!...excellent+ condition inside and out. A good shooter to boot. A fun day at the range. Thanks Rob!

vandle
Australia

#3 Post by vandle » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:58 pm

Thanks for the range report.

Its encouraged me to play around a little more with bullet dia for this one
Life is tough, tougher if your stupid

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: Siamese Type 66 range report. UPDATE 8/27

#4 Post by Rapidrob » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:40 pm

I shot the rifle using the .237 French bullets today at Rams set to 300 meters from the prone.The rifle performed very well and I took second place. The bullets struck the targets with impressive force knocking the 60 pound rams backward off of the rail with impressive speed. The heavy French MG bullets transferred kinetic energy very well.
Recoil is stout but very manageable. The fired cases are now on their 5TH reloading show no signs of pressure problems or excessive head space problems.
My next goal is to try the rifle at 800 yards. I cannot see any reason why it will not preform well.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

bobvz
United States of America

#5 Post by bobvz » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:48 pm

I have also had excellent results with my M66. Used pulled Turk 154 grain 8x57 bullets and recovered flake powder with Buffalo Brass cases made from 45-70. CCI 200 primers. Weighed the 8x57 load and reduced by 20% as a starting point. Got 2 inch groups at 100 yds off sandbags. The 154 grain bullets were patterned after the German WW1 bullet and had a cupped base. This tends to expand and obturate the bore well, much like a Minie' Ball. Mine shot high too initially, but i managed to alter a Turk M38 rear sight to fit the base and it got groups down to where I could use the sight elevator to adjust.

Return to “Japanese and Far East Rifles”