Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Identify short stocked type 99 Arisaka

Arisaka, Murata, Siamese, Korean, and North China Rifles
Maxian
United States of America

Identify short stocked type 99 Arisaka

#1 Post by Maxian » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:53 pm

Ara 01.jpg
I'm new here and don't know much about these rifles so if this a stupid question I'm sorry.
From my Googling it's an early type 99.
Not sure of the arsenal as Koishikawa and Kokura share the same marks.
My old eyes are guessing a series 28 ??

Anyway, my main question is about the forend.
Why is it so short? Can't find another picture like this one.
I'd say the wood was cut and everything moved back but I see no indication on the barrel of that being the case.
So, please enlighten me.

Brad
Attachments
Ara 05.jpg
Ara 04.jpg
Ara 03.jpg
Ara 02.jpg

Airforce1
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: Identify short stocked type 99 Arisaka

#2 Post by Airforce1 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:28 pm

Bubba got his dirty hands on it.

Maxian
United States of America

#3 Post by Maxian » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:31 pm

Airforce1 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:28 pm
Bubba got his dirty hands on it.
So I'm assuming somebody cut the forend wood and moved the lug back?
If so, where can I source a replacement?

Airforce1
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#4 Post by Airforce1 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:37 pm

Probably a duffel cut originally. You will have to make your own.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#5 Post by 72 usmc » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:16 pm

That is a a post 1939 -1945 series 24 Kokura. They made only series 20 to 25. That rifle was most likely cut down for hunting. Since the mum remains intact and the bolt matches?? I bet a USMC ground pounder brought this back for hunting or as a war souvenir. Back in the 1940s the boys had little cash and most hunted as a past time. Since most could not buy a new rifle at a Sears or hardware store they utilized the rifle they brought back. Some had the wood cut, barrels cut down, bolts bent, and rechambered the rifles for use of cheep hunting ammunition instead of the 7.7 jap. A Depression era "make do with what you have attitude". Modifications made for a lighter rifle in the brush.

Now if everything matches and it's a family bring back, it would be a labor of love to restore it. A costly effort. But be sure the bolt matches and the barrel has not been cut or rechambered. Otherwise, it's a parts rifle worth $75 . Now to find a complete intact stock and hand guard with an original finish is a real hunt and about $200-300. An original cleaning rod $75. other small parts ??? It's not worth the effort to restore such a dog unless the metal remains intact- no rechamber and bolt matches. If it is a family gun from a WW II Vet you know, then the best bet is buy a second intact type 99 Kokura with all its parts and its stock remains intact and not refinished. However, this second rifle is a miss match with a poor bore or rechambered bore so you can get it cheep say around $200. Use the donor rifle for the stock and missing metal and drop your intact action into the second stock.

Most stocks were refinished and are incorrect, so you need a stock with cartouches, an intact finish, and the correct maker--Kokura. Big bucks.
hence you search out a second Mum-Less, mismatch with a good stock and cleaning rod. Gun shows or sometimes eBay. Most have the metal, but watch out for reproductions. Stocks are a hard find and in great demand since so many were sanded and refinished which destroys it value.

One source of parts is libertytreecollectors, at least you can see prices. Parts be crazy.
https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/p ... ategory=83

By the way, the condition of the blue and metal on that rifle looks almost brand new, excellent condition like it was hardly used, so that is why there is little evidence of rust or blue wear on the barrel. I also bet the inside of the bore is like new, with bright rifling. Too bad the stock was chopped and a varnish or shellac slopped over the wood. Bolt is also showing little wear. Find a beater Kokura, with a bad bore, no mum (ground), and miss matched bolt or missing bolt for say $200, that has a used, but intact stock & hand guard that matches with an original cleaning rod and switch them out. Poof! you got a nice Arasaka. Add an original sling for another $200-300, and you got a really nice rifle. :clap: :dance: :shhh: :shifty:
The problem is it will take some time to find the right donor rifle, not sure how many Arisakas are at AZ gun shows??? In WI, you see dog Arasakas at most shows. Most are missing the cleaning rod or were refinished.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#6 Post by 72 usmc » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:17 am

This is a dream come true find. All intact bring back:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1954
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Maxian
United States of America

#7 Post by Maxian » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:21 pm

Thanks 72 for the info.
The metal great and the bore looks like it had 5 rounds through it.
Stock is bad. Think they dipped it in shellac.
Took it apart last night. Went easy as pie except the front sight ( which took 3 seconds under the drill press )
I have another Arisaka with the correct stock I'll swap over to this one.
Gonna refinish all the metal and stock. Not looking to restore correctly, just have a new looking good shooter.
It head spaced great too.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#8 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:40 pm

Gonna refinish all the metal and stock
For your consideration, if the donor stock has an original finish, but shows a wee bit to much patina. It is better to clean and oil the stock and retain its originality rather than refinish. You most likely could trade an original finish, somewhat beat stock, for one that is already refinished to perfection. People search out intact stocks. Also I would only attempt to redo the missing metal. That sporter has a fantastic original metal blue. :think: :think: :think: :think:
:arrow: here is a grab bag of restoration on stocks
Look in the stock section for ideas on how to clean an old beater and maintain the original finish.

https://virginiatoolworks.com/2014/04/2 ... storation/

https://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=53270

https://www.njgunforums.com/forum/index ... us-stocks/

http://thecmp.org/training-tech/armorer ... g-article/

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=3332&p=21827&hilit ... ock#p21827

https://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/ ... finishing/

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=1200

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=375&p=1629&hilit=s ... tion#p1629

Maxian
United States of America

#9 Post by Maxian » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:50 am

I've decide to do something that will probably make Arisaka fans puke.
Since the parts don't match it really doesn't have any real value.
So, I'm going to bring it to the shop, cut 6" off the barrel, move the front sight accordingly, and make a carbine.
Also thinking of threading the barrel since there is plenty of room after the sight.
Whens the last time you saw a type 99 carbine with a silencer on it ?

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#10 Post by 72 usmc » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:13 pm

7.7 carbine with just over a legal barrel when fired will be stout. Like a Jungle carbine- a real barker. :shhh:
A good truck rifle on the farm.

Return to “Japanese and Far East Rifles”