Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Who here owns a Japanese type 44

Arisaka, Murata, Siamese, Korean, and North China Rifles
S.B.
United States of America

Who here owns a Japanese type 44

#1 Post by S.B. » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:06 pm

Cavalry carbine and if any please, post some pictures of it?
Steve

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

Re: Who here owns a Japanese type 44

#2 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:27 pm

My two are in storage, but here is one that sold that has some nice photos:
https://pre98.com/shop/gone-but-not-for ... -matching/

https://www.legacy-collectibles.com/min ... rbine.html

Reference sheet and pictures:
http://www.nambuworld.com/t44pix.htm

Libertytreecollectors reference page great photos:
https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/p ... oduct=8087

More pictures and discussion:
https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=188932

A beater more commonly found at gun shows:
http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/world-fir ... ne-296584/
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

S.B.
United States of America

#3 Post by S.B. » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:26 am

I asked who here owns one of these not, where on the internet is one for sale at Jab and Gouge prices?
Steve

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#4 Post by 72 usmc » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:02 am

I got two. :think: If I remember correct both have matching bolts, no dust cover & no cleaning rod sections. One has heavy wear from a saddle rub on one side. At least the stocks were not refinished. I think one has an original sling. No photo possible since they are in a storage locker: hence the links. You got to admit they are great photo records of the details seen in M44s. :oops:

Those links are to reference photos only, not for sale items. The forum does not like links to active for sale items. They have all been purchased and the links provide some nice, close up, high quality, reference photos taken with a better camera showing the details of Arisaka M44s. For example, the location of cartouches & serial numbers and the details of different bayonet housings. :doh: Granted, the first two are pristine examples, hence the crazy prices they went for to a high roller at the first 2 auction sites. The other links are to the more common removed mum, no cleaning rods, no dust cover, mis- matched bolt, beat stock variety. I thought you need some nice close up views, not an inventory :violin: sorry

We shall see who else may have a few. I bet slowbob 2 has a dozen. :shhh:
ihilsdorf has an M44 in its original shipping crate, I wish he could re take/post photos of it. It was fantastic.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

indy1919a4
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#5 Post by indy1919a4 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:52 am

Well I am afraid to do anything here.. But I did like those close up photo links... Sometimes no good deed goes unpunished

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#6 Post by 72 usmc » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:02 pm

Yes silly me, :violence-smack: I selected the two high end auction houses because they take such detailed photos with high end cameras and the photos enlarge if clicked upon and show close ups of an intact wood finish, correct cartouches, font of serial numbers and there locations, a correct blue, the bayonet and bolt and many other details with such clarity and correct professional lighting. Both of these carbines would be a fantastic find that knocks your socks off at a gun show and I would tear my pocket open to get out cash if they were $500. But good stuff goes at crazy prices now-a-days as SB indicates :doh:

S.B.
United States of America

#7 Post by S.B. » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:32 pm

Maybe I should start again, would really like to hear experiences of shooting one of these?
Steve

indy1919a4
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#8 Post by indy1919a4 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:28 pm

72 usmc wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:02 pm
Yes silly me, :violence-smack: I selected the two high end auction houses because they take such detailed photos with high end cameras and the photos enlarge if clicked upon and show close ups of an intact wood finish, correct cartouches, font of serial numbers and there locations, a correct blue, the bayonet and bolt and many other details with such clarity and correct professional lighting. Both of these carbines would be a fantastic find that knocks your socks off at a gun show and I would tear my pocket open to get out cash if they were $500. But good stuff goes at crazy prices now-a-days as SB indicates :doh:
Gee I would not go that far at all.. Each person contributes some and everyone understands... So some of the info comes form high end auctions.. Its up to each of us to ignore what we do want and focus on what we want.

I for one appreciate the dearth of info you provided at time..

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#9 Post by 72 usmc » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:27 pm

Mine are basically safe queens at $2 a round. I generally use Norma 6.5 Jap because it goes bang, but it is too expensive to shoot off 3 boxes at the range all the time. The carbine functions more as a few times a year shooter, for fun. I do reload, but then I neck size the box and keep it recorded as to what rifle and allow one box per rifle. If I want to shoot more, I used new factory Norma after the reloaded stuff is shot up. As things go, the rifle is accurate and is wimpy in comparison to my M44 Russian carbine, flame thrower where the ammo is/was 10 cents per round. I still got crates of the Albanian ammo. But, it does hurt to shoot off 50 rounds on a Mosin carbine. Its got a kick like a JC. The Arisaka is nicer and more comfortable to shoot. Less loud. My Type 44 that I shoot has a nice trigger with less creep and is crisp in comparison to a Mosin M44. On both of my Type 44s the bolts match, but the chamber space on one is more generous. It really enlarges the brass- hence I neck size fire-formed rounds as reloads. It is accurate, but I only shoot out to 100 yards. You got to get use to the bolt's operation. I have not fired my shooter in 5 years. I guess I like my type 38 long rifles the best. But the Type 44 does draw attention at the range and other members do like to fire it. In contrast, the Mosin M44 draws attention due to its fire balls and noise. No one really likes shooting the beast. It really rattles the chest after heart surgery. The Type 44 is a pleasent experience, but a costly one if you shoot off 50 to 80 rounds in one day. For an ocasional range rifle it's great. But as a daily shooter, I favor the 6.5 Sweed M1896 short rifle. Best for pleasure, cost, and accuracy. If you have an Arasaka, check the headspace if the bolt is a mis-match. Most are hard on brass. A Type 44 is a looker. Almost as much of an attention getter as the sexy British Jungle carbine in .303. Unlike the Type 44, as the JC barrel heats up on a hot day, the zero wanders increasing the spread at 100 yards. Another beast to shoot, but fun. Hard on the chest and shoulder, that hard rubber butt pad is a joke. But I love those JCs over the Type 44. If I was going to hang an Arasaka on a wall the Type 44 or the Type 2, 7.7mm paratrooper would be my choice.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#10 Post by 72 usmc » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:46 am

No one else shoots their Type 44 ?

checkmate19
United States of America

#11 Post by checkmate19 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:27 pm

I have had this one for a while , sorry for the poor pictures. Im going through bayonets and figured I would post a few pics . Im more of a US collector so know little about these.

checkmate19
United States of America

#12 Post by checkmate19 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:31 pm

Thanks for all the info 72usmc , lot of interesting pics and good read from your links.

Return to “Japanese and Far East Rifles”