http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:40 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I have been loading Barnes lead free rounds for hunting with hornady small primer brass.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:17 pm 
Match Winner
Match Winner

Augie.Cooper wrote:
I have been loading Barnes lead free rounds for hunting with hornady small primer brass.

What kind of results are you getting?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:25 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

While I have not use them extensively, in the last year I have taken 2 deer and 3 Hogs none of which needed more than one shot and none of which fail to have a through-and-through. All of the exit wound were in the neighborhood of three quarters of an inch letting me know there was good expansion.

Last edited by Augie.Cooper on Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:30 pm 
Match Winner
Match Winner

Augie.Cooper wrote:
Wow I have not use them extensively, in the last year I have taken 2 deer and 3 Hogs none of which needed more than one shot and none of which fail to have a through-and-through. All of the exit wound were in the neighborhood of three quarters of an inch letting me know there was good expansion.

That's good results in my book. :thumb: How do they group?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:00 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

professrh wrote:
Augie.Cooper wrote:
Wow I have not use them extensively, in the last year I have taken 2 deer and 3 Hogs none of which needed more than one shot and none of which fail to have a through-and-through. All of the exit wound were in the neighborhood of three quarters of an inch letting me know there was good expansion.

That's good results in my book. :thumb: How do they group?

The best I got was 1.5 inch at 100 yards but in the area I am hunting that is a long shot anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:27 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

I got a shot during antlerless season at a doe 40 yards (+ or - 5) away. Rushed the shot cause there were several deer nearby and thought they'd make me out if I took too long. Anyways, deer jumped after the shot, and hightailed it out of there. I got to the shot site, and I don't see a drop of blood. I was still convinced I shot it, but after looking for 5 hours, I never did find it. So I don't know what happened. I just don't think it would've jumped had I not got it. But then again, I imagine it wouldn't have gone far had I got it either.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:34 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I haven't tried them myself, but many people I've talked to swear by the Remington Hog Hammers.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:53 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I killed a good sized buck this year with a zastava mini Mauser. Used the round nosed prvi 123 grainers. About 70 yards. Nice big exit on far side of ribs. Killed one previous with same load just fine.

Best I have used in that round is the old ULY 8M3 bullet loading. The hollow point with pronounced internal jacket skives. Really did the job. That round parks deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:52 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

The Wolf HP ammo is not much better than FMJ in my experience on deer. If the HP hits bone it sometimes will expand but the FMJ if it hits the same bone, ie shoulder, it will just as often tumble and do the same damage. But if you put either between the ribs there is little difference they both pencil through. The Wolf 123 and 154 SP does much better. Best bullet I ever used is a hand load with the 123 gr Hornady SP with 29 grs H322, yes that is a case full. I cram the bullet on top and use a Lee factory crimp die to hold the bullet in the case good. It is a tack driver in my Yugo SKS and really expands good and kills deer well. I helped my buddy do crop damage control on a big farm for 15 years where we had to take 100 deer each year. We killed them with about everything from a stick to a 45-70. We learned a lot about what works and does not work well. I used the SKS with open sites in the thick jungle of green brier, reeds and swamp areas of east NC where 50 yards was a looooog shot.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:01 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

1shot, I wish I could find one of those steel cased soft points to use instead so I can just shoot them for fun and for hunting, since they'd be cheap enough, but I just haven't been happy with the grouping any of those have given me so far. Granted I've yet to take a shot past 50 yards while hunting, but I would really like the confidence to be able to and at 100 yards I just really haven't been happy with the groups those soft points make. The hollow points on the other hand have been decent but have some uncertain results once they hit. I was really hoping I got a decent and clear hit on a deer this year, just so I could make up my mind once and for all on whether these HP's are good enough, but then I guess I completely whiffed the shot.