Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Cavalry Carbine Issue

ffuries
United States of America

Re: Cavalry Carbine Issue

#16 Post by ffuries » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:38 pm

Wow great job what a difference! Never knew that some of the new made ammo was the wrong diameter. Is this true for any other calibers.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

kraggman
United States of America

#17 Post by kraggman » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:45 pm

ffuries wrote:Wow great job what a difference! Never knew that some of the new made ammo was the wrong diameter. Is this true for any other calibers.
Thanks !!
And from what I've read the Carcano is unique as far as bullet diameter issues. I'm no expert on ballistics though. Maybe another member could comment on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PennsylvaniaRifleman
United States of America

#18 Post by PennsylvaniaRifleman » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:29 am

ffuries wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:38 pm
Wow great job what a difference! Never knew that some of the new made ammo was the wrong diameter. Is this true for any other calibers.

I've had issues with some factory loaded 8mm Lebel that used .323 bullets instead of the correct .327. Those keyholed badly. But Carcanos take the prize for finicky ammo needs...

vandle
Australia

#19 Post by vandle » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:27 am

PennsylvaniaRifleman wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:29 am
ffuries wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:38 pm

I've had issues with some factory loaded 8mm Lebel that used .323 bullets instead of the correct .327. Those keyholed badly. But Carcanos take the prize for finicky ammo needs...
Yes they do which is why they have that unjustly reputation.
With a little patience and experimentation they are quite a good shooter.
And fun as well.
Life is tough, tougher if your stupid

PennsylvaniaRifleman
United States of America

#20 Post by PennsylvaniaRifleman » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:28 pm

vandle wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:27 am
Yes they do which is why they have that unjustly reputation.
With a little patience and experimentation they are quite a good shooter.
And fun as well.
...and you know I couldn't agree more!
Attachments
Carcano collection (1).JPG

PennsylvaniaRifleman
United States of America

#21 Post by PennsylvaniaRifleman » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:53 pm

Kraggman, for what it's worth, here's some miscellaneous Carcano reloading tips (I used to have a couple threads on the old board documenting my travails):

I much prefer the PRVI brass to the Norma, which I found to be too thick at both the rim and neck.
In my experience (loading slowly with a hand-press), cases resized with the smaller expander from the Lee kit can still accommodate the larger diameter bullets.
Some of my Carcanos can shoot the "torpedo" .264 Hornady bullets acceptably, but most prefer the larger .267 diameter torpedos (and most keyhole with PRVI factory).
I bought a Lee custom bullet sizing die to resize the .267-.268 bullets down to .266, as most of my research shows that is the most common diameter found in actual Italian ammunition ("spring-back" leaves them closer to .2665).
I bought the custom sizer as a measure of safety after finding my M38 would not easily chamber rounds loaded with the larger bullets. I've read that relatively undersize bores and throats aren't uncommon in M38's, and that is likely why factory ammo makers deliberately load the smaller diameter bullets. I've never shot PRVI factory ammo through my M38 (like you I gave up on those, before I purchased the rifle), but I suspect this would be one of the rare Carcanos able to shoot factory PRVI with acceptable results.
Attachments
Lee custom bullet sizer .266.JPG

kraggman
United States of America

#22 Post by kraggman » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:38 pm

This is why I like these boards. You get the benefit of others experience. This is all good info. So you ordered the bullet sizer custom made from Lee ?? One other small issue I have with my rifle. A little hard to eject. Meaning I need a little torque to eject the casing. It was the same for factory and handloads. Unusual. All my other milsurps eject effortlessly. Especially the Enfield.

PennsylvaniaRifleman
United States of America

#23 Post by PennsylvaniaRifleman » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:06 pm

kraggman wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:38 pm
This is why I like these boards. You get the benefit of others experience. This is all good info. So you ordered the bullet sizer custom made from Lee ?? One other small issue I have with my rifle. A little hard to eject. Meaning I need a little torque to eject the casing. It was the same for factory and handloads. Unusual. All my other milsurps eject effortlessly. Especially the Enfield.

Yes, I think I paid about $35 dollars for the sizer from the Lee website. I probably wouldn't have felt the need for it if not for the issues with my M38 chambering the larger rounds. All of the other Carcanos worked well with the larger diameter bullets i.e. no pressure signs, but since they ALL work well now with the resized bullets that's my preference (caveat: my Vetterli-Carcano shown with my Carcanos above is loaded only with .264 bullets and greatly reduced loads).

Regarding your other question, I can't say for sure what you're experiencing, but I will say that of all my milsurps, the Carcano benefits the most from a "grip it and rip it" bolt manipulation. If I try to ease the bolt back and forth like I can (to catch the brass) with a Springfield or Enfield, it will result in a balk-fest--difficult bolt lift, balky ejection, and hit or miss feeding. The more I work it "like I'm trying to break it," the more everything smooths out and feels much more reliable.

Return to “Italian Rifles”