Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Anyone have trouble with 7.35 surplus bullets and lee dies?

joe7170
United States of America

Anyone have trouble with 7.35 surplus bullets and lee dies?

#1 Post by joe7170 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:57 pm

I have some surplus 7.35 bullets, and I was going to go abouts loading some ammo for the Finn M38 carbine, but it seems something is a miss here. I used Norma 6.5 carcano cases, and sized them up in the 7.35 die, trimmed the cases, and all. I also took my universal case expander and flared my case mouths slightly, to allow me to seat the flat base bullets. Well, when I run the round up into my seat die, it will not seat the bullet and instead starts to mushroom my case, which ruins them, and ruining these cases can get expensive. I already junked 2 :evil:

Anyways I got to measuring, and it seems the surplus bullets are .300, and the inside of the neck after sizing is .297. Hrmm, so either Lee makes their dies wrong, I got a bad set, or something just ain't right here.....

Has anyone else used lee dies to load surplus 7.35 bullets?? :think:

Cattus Borealis
United States of America

Re: Anyone have trouble with 7.35 surplus bullets and lee dies?

#2 Post by Cattus Borealis » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:55 am

Norma is good brass. I am guessing however that sizing up has weakened or work hardened the brass somehow. I had the same thing happen to me sizing down for 303 British to 6.5 Dutch using Remington Cases (Which are not as nearly as well made as Norma) Have you tried inside the neck lubricating with graphite? Have you tried Privi-Partizan brass? Have your tried annealing? I am not sure if that would work.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/ca ... oryId/3786?

professrh
United States of America

#3 Post by professrh » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:20 am

A few years back I had a problem seating .287" diameter bullets in .284"-sized 7x57 cases. Seating the bullets apparently took more force than usual, and the bullet tips would get stuck in the sizing die and pull back out (or part way out). I solved the problem by switching to an 8x57 seating die (they seat fine that way). I did NOT experience any case mushrooming (that I remember), but I was and still am using PPU 7x57 brass.

I suspect your problem is (as Cattus Borealis suggests) that sizing up has weakened the brass.

Note that I didn't and don't flare the case mouths to accept the .003" oversize bullets when I seat those bullets in the 7x57; you might try skipping that step. . . .

--Prof

joe7170
United States of America

#4 Post by joe7170 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:09 pm

I figured out the problem, or problems. First I flared the mouths just a tad more, to accept the flat base bullet, and then I also noticed the surplus bullets have 2 different style profiles, and the one was getting stuck in the seating plug, and creating all sorts of issues.

I got 18 rounds loaded up (3 clips) will try next time out.

LEP
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#5 Post by LEP » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:07 pm

I have RCBS dies and have had zero issues. Haven't checked actual sized dimensions, however.

ammolab
United States of America

#6 Post by ammolab » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:30 pm

I use Lee 7.35 dies and the Hornady SP bullet. No issues seating the bullets at all. Flare the necks?... I just FL size and the die's expander makes my case neck perfect size to accept and secure the Hornady bullet.

toot
United States of America

#7 Post by toot » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:40 pm

I have never had problem one with them.

Return to “Italian Rifles”