Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Carcano Bolt Will Not Disassemble

Phantom 778
United States of America

Carcano Bolt Will Not Disassemble

#1 Post by Phantom 778 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:46 pm

I have a Carcano M91/38 TS. My wife and I recently aquired this rifle so we are still doing our initial inspections. When attempting to disassemble the bolt by pressing down the stud on the cocking piece, the stud stayed down. I assume this may be due to rust. Also, the cocking piece will not come off so any further disassembly is at a total stand still right now. Any ideas on how to fix this problem? (I am just soaking what I can in Gunzillla for the time being). Thanks
Attachments
20200116_193500-1.jpg

Charles Lipscomb
United States of America

Re: Carcano Bolt Will Not Disassemble

#2 Post by Charles Lipscomb » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:41 am

It definitely looks like rust. I had to go to YouTube as it's been years since I took my m91 carcano bolt apart. I don't recall that I removed the nut on the rear. I recall just removing the cocking piece and then the rest of the parts. But I could be wrong. Or the bolt wasn't put together right when I got it.
Like this video shows there is a slot on the firing pin which must line up..
Good luck.
Let us know how it goes.
If you are still stuck someone more knowledgeable will show up.

https://youtu.be/qer8g0f3zdk
" The beatings will continue until morale improves."
Management

Phantom 778
United States of America

#3 Post by Phantom 778 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:41 pm

Phantom 778 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:46 pm
I have a Carcano M91/38 TS. My wife and I recently aquired this rifle so we are still doing our initial inspections. When attempting to disassemble the bolt by pressing down the stud on the cocking piece, the stud stayed down. I assume this may be due to rust. Also, the cocking piece will not come off so any further disassembly is at a total stand still right now. Any ideas on how to fix this problem? (I am just soaking what I can in Gunzillla for the time being). Thanks
So I was finally able to remove the cocking pieces. Looks like the Gunzilla did the trick there. I still have a problem though with the button on the cocking piece. It is still stuck in the down position. Any ideas on how to pull this back out? There is nothing to grab onto. The button in flush down.

Charles Lipscomb
United States of America

#4 Post by Charles Lipscomb » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:04 pm

More gunzilla, perhaps boiling and taps with a hammer. Taps not strikes. 😁
If I recall the detent is held in place by a pin, perhaps you can tap that out and get some more oil in there.
I have not used gunzilla, but have used pb parts blaster with good results.. kroil is also said to be excellent.
" The beatings will continue until morale improves."
Management

Phantom 778
United States of America

#5 Post by Phantom 778 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:37 pm

Charles Lipscomb wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:04 pm
More gunzilla, perhaps boiling and taps with a hammer. Taps not strikes. 😁
If I recall the detent is held in place by a pin, perhaps you can tap that out and get some more oil in there.
I have not used gunzilla, but have used pb parts blaster with good results.. kroil is also said to be excellent.
Thanks for the tip on looking for a pin to punch out! I didn't even think about that! I will look into this!

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#6 Post by 72 usmc » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:56 pm

Kroil & some Kerosene mixed together 50/50. Let the piece soak a week. PB blaster tends to dissolve the rust. Use a fine brass or steel brush to get the surface rust off. PB Blaster really stinks, but fill a baby food jar from a spray can and let the cocking piece sit a week. Wire brush the lose rust on the top. Every day push it in and try to tap it so it moves in or out a wee bit. If it pushed in, it should work free-- Time is you partner. After a week in PB Blaster, then use Kroil and Kerosene. Heat with a propane torch may also help you work it free. It is possible the tiny, thin, spring has rusted away or split and no longer has tension, hence it no longer functions. :confusion-questionmarks: That's how you spell screwed & buy a replacement part. Easy fix. If you are in a hurry, just buy a used replacement part ( just be sure it is not stripped). libertytreecollectors :arrow: https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/p ... ategory=28

liberty on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carcano-M91-M4 ... xypNtSmjOZ
or SARCO https://www.sarcoinc.com/carcano-cockin ... -assembly/

Gun parts and the have a nice picture of the froze pin;
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/497480
Screen Shot 2020-01-18 at 8.05.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-18 at 8.05.52 PM.png (177.43 KiB) Viewed 2043 times
You got a plunger & spring to free up. Pin is set. 3 parts to that little assembly:
Screen Shot 2020-01-18 at 8.12.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-18 at 8.12.28 PM.png (18.84 KiB) Viewed 2040 times
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Phantom 778
United States of America

#7 Post by Phantom 778 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:14 pm

Finally!!! I was able fix everything! Gunzilla, some WD-40, and a few light taps from a lightweight hammer and boom! It popped right out! Thanks for the help folks!
Attachments
20200119_171610~2.jpg

S.B.
United States of America

#8 Post by S.B. » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:09 pm

Mine did the same and I took some Simple Green and soak it then a plastic hammer for persuasion. gently? Still pretty hard going.
Steve

Return to “Italian Rifles”