Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

I picked up what I thought was a Carcano today

S.B.
United States of America

I picked up what I thought was a Carcano today

#1 Post by S.B. » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:35 pm

Cheap but, upon closer examination the stock is somewhat like an Arisaka(two pieced) and where the bottom metal sits looks like an old Mauser with a floorplate cutout? I'll post some pictures when I get time. Barrel measures 30" from the receiver ring to the crown. Rear sight is nothing like any Carcano I've ever witnessed, bolt looks to be Carcano with flag safety. Probably a bubba mixmatch. Oh well the hunt goes on.
Steve
Attachments
IMG_0076.JPG
Last edited by S.B. on Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

butcharoot
United States of America

Re: I picked up what I thought was a Carcano today

#2 Post by butcharoot » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:30 am

It appears to be a Japanese Type I, made for Japan by Italy.

S.B.
United States of America

#3 Post by S.B. » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:57 am

butcharoot, If you''re right I suppose I'll have to cast the chamber to see if it's 6.5x52 Carcano or 6.5x50 Arisaka and of course find a proper stock for it?
Steve

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#4 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:25 pm

That is a hodgepodge of parts on a stick. See this video of a close up of a Type I Arasaka. Trigger assembly is wrong and the stock and ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs2tthKVuRQ

That appears to be a Carcano rifle trigger assembly not a Arisaka Type I trigger assembly.

This is a Type I Arisaka view: http://www.nambuworld.com/typeipix.htm
Here is a set of reference photos from Libertytreecollectors of an Arisaka type I:
https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/p ... ategory=82

This is a view of a Carcano Model 1941 M41 Rifle from Libertytreecollectors reference photos:

Maybe, it's a Carcano rifle action onto some sort of Arisaka type 38 stock ?????? Look at the marker' marks on the parts and action. Look at the bolt and its part markings to figure out the mess.
Arasaka Type I bolt & receiver
tiaction.jpg
Carcano rifle bolt and receiver
M41.408.8.JPG
Here are a few close up views from Libertytreecollectors library of the Arisaaka Type 38 & stock:

The end, take a look at yours . Is it similar?
Type38Stkk-3.JPG
Here is yours and it appears as a type 38???
Screen Shot 2019-12-31 at 5.14.33 PM.png
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#5 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:19 pm

My best guess without seeing the rifle: you have a Carcano long rifle in a Arasaka type 38 stock?????????
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

S.B.
United States of America

#6 Post by S.B. » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:41 pm

I'm of the opinion that butcharoot is spot on on this one? After some investigation. In 1937 the axis powers all sign an agreement to help each other in their arms procurement. The Japanese Navy was short of small arms and contacated the Itatlian arms makers for help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtMETPGlswQ
Steve

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#7 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:36 pm

I can go with that too, it could be a Type I action in a Type I stock, but it is missing the Type I trigger assembly and has a Carcano trigger assembly in its place. I just do not know if both trigger assemblies align to the same screw hole spacing on a receiver found on a Carcano long rifle and a Type I Arisaka. Do both trigger assemblies interchange ? How would an enblock mannlicher clip work with an Arisaka action??? The Type I Arisakas that I have seen, and that is only about 5 in person, never had the carcano mannlicher style trigger assembly. It had a box magazine assembly like a mauser, type 38, or type 99. I do not own a Type I, so I can not really say with any certainty if both trigger assemblies actually fit each others action. The Arasaka Type I fired the Japanese 6.5 round in an internal box magazine assembly that seems to be missing if this is indeed an Arisaka. We need more photos. Although, both rifles are Italian in origin, they do not safely fire the longer, but outwardly similar, 6.5 Carcano round. So what is a Carcano trigger assembly doing on the rifle if it is an Arisaka Type action, hence I figure it is more likely an Italian Carcano action with the correct trigger assembly, but in the wrong Japanese stock?? Who Knows? At least this is some food for thought... I wish we had a lot more photos & the action outside the stock. Some crazy modifications occurred here. But SB is correct the rear sight is not Carcano, it is Arisaka Type I. Does the receiver have stripper clip guides?
In summary,
So, The best guess is that this rifle is missing the box magazine with all of its parts and correct trigger assembly. It may be a hurting Arisaka Type I action in its correct stock. Just that it was stripped for its parts. You convinced me of this idea. :oops:
So is the bore any good? It appears the stock was refinished so even that is not the best condition for resale value. Otherwise, in its original condition, I'd say the stock is worth a good penny. Is it worth restoration at todays prices for parts with a refinished stock???

Odd, at Wi gun shows there is generally a Carcano or two that are not big sellers, mostly carbines. But a few long rifles every year show up. I take it in your area there are not too many Carcanos. I see you are south of Naperville, so way to far to go to the large, Fond du lac,WI gun show.

butcharoot
United States of America

#8 Post by butcharoot » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:24 am

If the receiver has a stripper clip guide as shown in 72 usmc's 1st picture in post # 4 it should be 6.5x50 Arisaka. It appears to be in the proper stock. They made 2 different stock lengths. The butt stocks are 2 piece. A Type 38 hand guard and lower barrel band will fit and look identical except for the hand guard finish. The bolt bodies are different, the rest of the bolt parts will interchange with a Carcano. The Type 38 magazine assembly may fit, I have not verified this. One of the action screws on the Type I is shorter but the same thread as a Carcano.

S.B.
United States of America

#9 Post by S.B. » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:58 am

It is New Years day and prefer to go slowly and presicely with this. Thanks everyone, I have some chamber casting material coming from Brownells to verify chambering? I really apprecxiate the knowledge on these and the interchangablities between rifle parts. I originally bought this with the intent of using the stock on my Carcano 91/24, I still have not been able to locate a stock for that but, will do my best to return this old war horse to orginal condition and continue the hunt for the illusive 91/24 stock. This, truely, is a great site with much knowledge of these old guns.
Again, thanks for all the help!
Steve

slowbob2
United States of America

#10 Post by slowbob2 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:09 pm

The rifle is a Type I . It has the type I rear sight .As stated , look for the stripper clip guide . It will be in 6.5 Arisaka . A chamber cast will be a waste of time as the 6.5 Jap is so close to a 6.5 Carcano it will chamber and fire in the Carcano .

S.B.
United States of America

#11 Post by S.B. » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:40 pm

Update: I've managed to find some of the parts I need for this rifle but, still looking to find a handguard, rear sling swivel with screws both bands and rear band spring?
Steve

S.B.
United States of America

#12 Post by S.B. » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:45 pm

Thank you, butcharoot, I managed to pickup a couple of the parts I needed for this rifle through the link you provided me.
butcharoot wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:24 am
The Type 38 magazine assembly may fit, I have not verified this. One of the action screws on the Type I is shorter but the same thread as a Carcano.
The rear action screw is longer than the type 38( I need to find one about 1/8" longer) but, the front one works well. The type 38 trigger guard is a little different(shorter in length) and ususally lugged one end or the other. Seems everyone is out of the rear band springs and forearms(or junk on ebay). If I had a print of one, I'd aquire a piece of walnut and have someone locally just craft one?
Steve

LEP
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#13 Post by LEP » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:41 am

Correct Type I TG compared with Carcano. Similarities in design and manufacture readily noticeable
DSCN0291.JPG
DSCN0290.JPG

S.B.
United States of America

#14 Post by S.B. » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:17 pm

LEP. I mangaed to find a correct trigger guard for mine.
Steve

S.B.
United States of America

#15 Post by S.B. » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:46 am

I believe I've gather enough parts to complete this rifle now?
Steve

Return to “Italian Rifles”