Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

8mm Carcano

Keiths
United States of America

8mm Carcano

#1 Post by Keiths » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:42 pm

Hello. I have a Carcano that was converted at some time to 8x57. Is it safe to shoot if it's in decent condition? Trying to decide if I should keep it or sell it. I have one already in 6.5.

viking
United States of America

Re: 8mm Carcano

#2 Post by viking » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:42 pm

i have read were a lot of people do.however i have no experience.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#3 Post by Rapidrob » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:29 pm

Abby-so-Lutly save to shoot. You CANNOT blow up a Carcano. Many,many have tried and Failed.
I have several 8mm Carcano's in my collection and shoot them all, and I'm talking hundreds of times. They are quite accurate,at least as accurate as the 7.35 versions.
Recoil is not bad at all as the really short barrel does not build up much pressure or velocity.
You do not have to down-load or stay away from certain loading's or other internet BS. The ignorance on these little carbines is just that,ignorance.
I have built myself a clip that works. I have no plans to make any others due to the time it takes. There was/is a fellow on the web that may be making them as I write this,not sure though.
Shoot your little carbine. The rear sight is set for 300 meters, you will be very happy with how well it shoots.
My carbines like the 150 grain bullets better than the 198 grain. It maybe the flat based bullets seal the bore better in the short barrel.
I have shot one of them at 500 yards and I was able to hit the target several times.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

Keiths
United States of America

#4 Post by Keiths » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:45 pm

Thanks. I appreciate the info.

Mid.
United States of America

#5 Post by Mid. » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:25 pm

Any word on how the Carcano shot? I'd be interested to hear.

butcharoot
United States of America

#6 Post by butcharoot » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:23 am

I found one only marked 7.92, no s stamp on the bolt. Unfortunately it failed a Field headspace gauge test. Butch

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#7 Post by Rapidrob » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:16 pm

Who's headspace gauge did you use? Ours or theirs? If you you ours ( SAMI) you took an improper reading and got false results.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member

slowbob2
United States of America

#8 Post by slowbob2 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:17 pm

The 8mm Carcano is one rifle you DO have to be careful with . They were put together after the war from a pile of parts , I have seen a couple that did not have the barrels screwed all the way in [ that could be a headspace problem ] . There are several different sized barrels used [ I have one as small as .309 -.320 ] , some where still short chambered . . If the barrel is a useable size and the rifle is put together correctly , that are fine to fire .

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#9 Post by Rapidrob » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:26 pm

I own several of them.None have any issues what so ever with head spacing. You use a SAMMI HSG and it will fail every time. Use the European gauge and they pass.
I've shot my carbines hundreds of times with no issues. After all it is a Carcano action which is very strong.
I have never seen nor heard of a .309 8 MM Carcano. I'd love to see that and who made the barrel. The chamber must have a very long lead in order to close the bolt on a .323 bullet in a .309 bore.
It would be interesting to see who assembled your problem carbines?
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member

slowbob2
United States of America

#10 Post by slowbob2 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:27 pm

I bought a pallet of 50 from the importer . They were all checked and measured . If the barrel in not screwed in all the way it does not matter what HSG you use . The .309 - .320 one would not chamber a standard 8mm Ss round . The small barrels were made on Czech civilian barrel machinery / blanks brought into northern Italy by German army group C in late 1944 , then later used to put rifles together to sell to the importer after the war . They were new made barrels , different from the more common rebored used 6.5mm barrels found on most .

butcharoot
United States of America

#11 Post by butcharoot » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:45 am

" Who's headspace gauge did you use? Ours or theirs? If you use ours ( SAAMI) you took an improper reading and got false results." It was a SSAMI gauge. It appears a gauge made to CIP specs is considered a wildcat. That 7.92 Carcano had a pristine bore. Butch

Return to “Italian Rifles”