Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

8x57 Carcano carbine at 200 & 250 meters-Now Match update

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

8x57 Carcano carbine at 200 & 250 meters-Now Match update

#1 Post by Rapidrob » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:11 pm

Were holding a close range off-hand match this month.200 meters knock down rams and a ground gong at 250 meters.
I was going to use my 6.5 Dutch Carbine until I shot my 8x57 m/m Mauser Carcano Carbine. My notes on the carbine said " good shooter". With my 150 grain full-house loads ( I will not down load this cartridge for any 8mm firearm) The 200 meter targets were so easy to hit ( 6 o'clock hold) that it almost was not fun. Knock them down,re-set,knock them down again.
The 250 meter target is a round gong,24" across,two inches thick steel and about 300 pounds. Once again using a 6 o'clock hold I was able to hit the gone 4 out of 5 shots off-hand. This little carbine is just a joy to shoot. Fixed sights for 300 meters, has no real recoil due to the so short barrel and the trigger pull is not too bad for what it is.
Rapid fire is easy to do as I modified a 6.5 brass clip to take 5- 8mm rounds. The blast is impressive but it is all show and no go.
The carbine is a hand full with 198 grain bullets. Not hard recoil, just abrupt.
So far I have not found a surplus round the carbine does not shoot very well.
These carbines get a bad rap due to ignorance and internet trolls. They make an awesome brush deer carbine.
Here are the five shots. I fired six but pulled one low right for a miss. ( five from clip, 1ST one hand loaded to find 250 meter zero.
Carcano 250 meter1.jpg
Carcano 250 meters2.jpg
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

ammolab
United States of America

Re: 8x57 Carcano carbine at 200 & 250 meters

#2 Post by ammolab » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:26 pm

200 Rams, 250 gong...no 100 yard pigs?

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#3 Post by Rapidrob » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:38 am

No, way too much damage.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#4 Post by Rapidrob » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:13 pm

I held the match today. I took 3RD place using the 8x57MM Carcano with 150 grain bullets over 78 year old Hotchkiss Glass Plate Flake pulled powder. My little carbine was shooting 6 feet high at 200 meters and 8 feet high at 250 meters. I had to guess how low to hold the sights,once I found the right "zero" I was able to knock the targets off of the stand or hit the gong.
The little carbine is really fun to shoot and pleasant to shoot. I hand no FTF's after 20 rounds fired. My modified clip works like a charm.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member

butcharoot
United States of America

Re: 8x57 Carcano carbine at 200 & 250 meters-Now Match update

#5 Post by butcharoot » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:49 am

Might i ask how you modified the clips? Thanks, Butch

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#6 Post by Rapidrob » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:42 pm

While I have no way to "shorten" the clips to 5 shot you can widen them to take the 8mm base width.
I use the brass clips as they take heat better than the spring steel.
I made a wedge from hard wood that is the same width plus .001 or so more than the base off a 8x57mm cartridge case and heat the clip up to about 800 degrees F. The clip is placed on a block of lead to prevent damage and the wooden wedge is driven down into the hot clip. The wood stays there until the clip is cool. The sides of the clip will "wing out" a little but when you remove the wood wedge, you just squeeze the clip sides back in. The first five rounds may be a little tight. You then pull the clip sides out until the rounds will slide up/down in the clip smoothly. The "Rim Ridge" in the clip will engage the extraction groove and allow proper feeding.
As I wrote, the clip sides will be a little long due to the 6.5/7.35 clips being 6 shot. There is up and down play with the 8mm 5 rounds. But the clip works. It may or may not fall free after the last shot. I prefer it does not. The clip can be pushed out of the mag well with a finger or the next loaded clip.
DocAV on several other sites is making "real" 8x57mm clips room. Expect them to be $$$ as he has 25 thousand bucks wrapped up in dies and equipment to make the clips.
As you know there were never any clips made for the 8x57mm carbines. No one has ever produced a so-called "Real issue"clip that I am aware of.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member

butcharoot
United States of America

#7 Post by butcharoot » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:50 am

Thanks for your reply. Butch

Return to “Italian Rifles”