Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Will this ammunition work with my K98k?

Gew88, Gew98, Kar98 etc.
Frederickdav
United States of America

Re: Will this ammunition work with my K98k?

#16 Post by Frederickdav » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:16 am

I picked up a bandoleer of this stuff and shot three rounds. All three cases split from the mouth down about halfway. I decided not to shoot any more of them. Call me chicken!

ammolab
United States of America

#17 Post by ammolab » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:03 am

72 usmc wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:58 am
Is this 8mm Mauser?
AS a warning view this bit of information on Turk ammo( read your fired cartridges) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AunvMjcJPHY
Normal pressure bowl shaped primer hits vs slightly high pressure primer hits with cratering- raised edge around the primer hit's outer edge.
Screen Shot 2019-09-08 at 2.09.09 PM.png
To quick to rule “overpressure” in that video. Those primers are not flattened. Did he measure case head expansion. He pulled down that Turk ammo...what does the Turk primer look like down loaded 10%, 15%. Same-same, or normal. Also his stock crack = “overpressure”????
Maybe he should check his trigger guard screws before he goes shooting.
He often has good info, but chamber pressure is SCIENCE and he didn’t measure anything scientifically. I’m not saying those pressures are normal...just saying proof of over pressure is an instrumental measurement.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#18 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:25 am

To quick to rule “overpressure” in that video. Those primers are not flattened.

Ammolab. what about the raised edge around the firing pin hit mark? Is that considered a sign of slightly high pressure or just conjecture? I agree on the stock crack- I bet his screw was loose. Nothing to do with ammo. More to do with rifle maintenance. Thanks for your input.
Screen Shot 2019-09-08 at 2.09.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-09-08 at 2.09.09 PM.png (198.31 KiB) Viewed 636 times
Can you have slightly elevated pressure as shown by the raised edge around the firing pin hit without getting to a danger sign of really flattened primers. I have never experienced flat, enlarged primers on original Turk 8mm ammo, but then I have not experienced the raised edge at the firing pin hit with my 42, 44, 45, dated Turk 8mm. He also shot some factory new 8mm in the video and it lacked the raised edge, the primer looks like a normal fired cartridge. Can that raised edge be a sign of slightly hot cartridges from age. Lets say a stage before a primer is flat or backs out. Please provide some input from the viewpoint of your vast reloading experience. I value your comments, Thanks. Can you please elaborate. :clap:
what does the Turk primer look like down loaded 10%, 15%. Same-same, or normal.
Call me stupid, not sure what you mean here. If the powder is down loaded a wee bit and the cartridge reloaded with the same primer, powder, and bullet; if it still has raised marks around the the firing pin hit: the powder is degraded & there is some high pressure? Is such an indication something to have concern about. Is that raised edge around a firing pin hit really a great concern, just slight pressure. I know if the primer is flat and fills the pocket it is a concern of high pressure. I have never seen this happen to a primer in original, old 1940s Turk ammo. Case splits due to brittle brass is more of a concern. What should one see.
I need a lesson. :confusion-helpsos: :confusion-helpsos:
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

slowbob2
United States of America

#19 Post by slowbob2 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:42 pm

The guy in the video does not know much about the shooting of rifles or ammo . His video was left with some comments to correct it but he deleted them . As stated the cracked stock has nothing to do with the ammo , the action screws were loose . The primer strike will have more to do with the primer material and thickness . The Romanian ammo is a very light load and has a thick primer , I decap those and reload them so I have seen the primer cup thickness . My ORIGINAL WWI German S ammo averaged 2938 fps when fired from a Gew98 with a .3245 groove barrel . Velocities can vary greatly depending on the bore size , barrel length , bore smoothness , temperature and so on . Real life some times differs from a second hand account of publish material of info from the 1890's when they could not accurately measure velocity . The Turks did seem to " go cheap " on some lots of brass by using more of the cheaper alloys that made the cases too hard , and did not seem to anneal enough . On his Lebel video he does not know how to battle load the rifle , on the 91/30 sniper he does not know how to center the windage . With the Gew98 he thought the the 400 meter battle zero would make you shoot clean over a man at 100 yards .

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#20 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:11 pm

Slowbob, Thanks for your input about primer hardness and how conditions can cause different results. Good information from an old salt that knows his Mausers. Thank You.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Return to “German Rifles”