Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Will this ammunition work with my K98k?

Gew88, Gew98, Kar98 etc.
Phantom 778
United States of America

Will this ammunition work with my K98k?

#1 Post by Phantom 778 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:49 pm

Is this 8mm Mauser?
Attachments
20190815_000806.jpg

TNGhost
United States of America

Re: Will this ammunition work with my K98k?

#2 Post by TNGhost » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:44 pm

That is Turkish surplus 8mm Mauser. It is corrosive and somewhat on the warm side as 8mm Mauser goes, so keep that in mind, other than that it should work in any 8mm Mauser rifle in good condition designed for modern smokeless powder loads. Actually it is pretty good stuff as far as surplus 8mm goes, and a lot of it was imported a few years back when the surplus Turkish Mausers came in.

Phantom 778
United States of America

#3 Post by Phantom 778 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:11 pm

Thanks for the information! This helps me a lot. I have a 1944 K98k and it feels good to know I have some extra ammo for it now!

shoggoth80
United States of America

#4 Post by shoggoth80 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:38 pm

I wouldn't use it with semi automatic rifles if you have any. But any large ring Mauser bolt gun in 8mm should eat it fine.

Phantom 778
United States of America

#5 Post by Phantom 778 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:15 pm

Thanks for the advise!

TNGhost
United States of America

#6 Post by TNGhost » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:52 pm

You are welcome. Just make sure you clean the bore of your rifle with a little warm soapy water soon after shooting to remove the salts from the corrosive primers to prevent it rusting. Follow up cleaning with a light coat of oil.

Phantom 778
United States of America

#7 Post by Phantom 778 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:43 pm

Yes, about that... Do I just mix some dish soap with some warm water and then pore it down the bore like a rense? Or should I run soapy-warm swabs through the barrel with a cleaning rod? What works best?

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#8 Post by 72 usmc » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:08 pm

Lots of ways to clean. Most IMPORTANT :arrow: :D Clean it the same day, Clean the bolt 's insides.
What I use is Windex on a patch out on the range down the bore twice. Then I take the firearm home and clean it the same day. I use windex till I get a somewhat clean patch. Then I use Hoppes 9 to clean the bore and bolt, I finish up with a recleaning of the bore & bolt with Gunzilla. You will be surprised how grey the patch will look after a patch of Gunzilla is used to really clean the rifle. But then I am a nut that wants my rifle clean enough to eat out of.

some links cleaning:
https://gunnewsdaily.com/clean-corrosive-ammo/

https://www.theboxotruth.com/educationa ... sive-ammo/

http://www.guncleaningtips.com/best-gun ... sive-ammo/

Yep, Gunzilla is like liquid gold, not cheep. BUT IT SURE WORKS.
review; https://thefiringline.com/forums/showth ... p?t=265198
$30 for 16 oz :shhh: :doh: :doh:
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

TNGhost
United States of America

#9 Post by TNGhost » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:12 pm

Phantom 778 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:43 pm
Yes, about that... Do I just mix some dish soap with some warm water and then pore it down the bore like a rense? Or should I run soapy-warm swabs through the barrel with a cleaning rod? What works best?
Personally I get a little bucket, or other plastic container, fill it with 2-3 inches of hot water with a little dish soap and then put the rifle in muzzle first and run a patch wrapped around a bronze brush, from the breach through and "pump" the soapy water in the bore a few times, followed by a rinse with hot water, and after drying, a light coat of oil. The hot water rinse helps promote drying.

If the bore is really dirty I might follow the wash with a cleaning using Hoppe's #9 As far as oil, I just use motor oil(Mobil 1), a quart lasts forever and it is more than over engineered for use in firearms.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#10 Post by 72 usmc » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:15 pm

My rifle is human, even as I am human, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strengths, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will keep my rifle clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other.
I second motor oil :dance: for longer term storage, I use straight 30 W oil, or 50w if I find a gallon cheep at yard sales If i put a rifle in storage for a month or year, the bore and bolt gets a good coat of oil. BUT, You have to clean the bore prior to shooting.

If you want an inexpensive smelly cleaner consider making a batch of Ed's Red or some of the old USGI 1940-1960 bore cleaner in the green can. Works, but stinks. Cheep at gun shows because no-one wants the stuff. Water & soap is also cheep, I just do not like water on my Mausers & Enfields or especially any M1 carbine.
My wife and cats hate the smell of Hoppes 9 - its great stuff, but Gunzilla is animal safe and does not stink, smells more like rabbit pee. :lol:
I love both products. I would say the main cleaning is with Hoppes and corrosive salt neutralized with windex first, and finally with Gunzilla. It works for me and produces a clean bore even with a pitted bore on an old dog Mauser.
Gunzilla™ BC-10 is a patent pending gun cleaning formula which was developed for the military, made from natural based products.

Gunzilla™ can be used on everything from small handguns to 16” wide cannons. Gunzilla™ is a one step cleaner designed to clean, lubricate, and protect, all in one formula.

Gunzilla™ removes rust, lead, copper, plastic, carbon and even cleans corrosive ammo. It performs this quickly with a natural-base chemical which is faster, more effective, and safer than water based formulas or petroleum based solvents.

Gunzilla™ can be used on all smokeless and black powder guns, and eliminates the need to use soap and water when cleaning black powder guns. It also eliminates oiling after cleaning.
If you clean your rifle and then let it sit a month and run a patch down the barrel and then get a brown red rust color on the patch. Consider a better method, or cleaning solution.

Also with any old surplus ammo, please wear safety glasses just in case of a case split that sends gas into your face. Most club ranges require glasses and ear protection. :pray:
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#11 Post by 72 usmc » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:52 pm

Love Turk old ammo.
see: https://www.turkmauser.com/ammo.aspx
Bolt action only, its hot!
https://www.forgottenweapons.com/why-we ... m-surplus/

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/sho ... p?t=979853

Hard primers may mean you up the striker spring in a rifle if the old spring is weak. But it always goes bang if the primer hit is strong.

Some brass is brittle: wear safety glasses.
Screen Shot 2019-09-05 at 8.58.33 PM.png

shoggoth80
United States of America

#12 Post by shoggoth80 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:27 pm

Dawn dish soap, warm water and scrub. Dry patch, Hoppe's, motor oil. One kills salts, the other gets fouling, and oil because it's metal. Lol.
Also I've used home rolled black powder cleaner with good results. Part rubbing alcohol, part Murphy oil soap. A few different ways to tackle the common issue... biggest is not allowing it to sit dirty.

ammolab
United States of America

#13 Post by ammolab » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:04 pm

Nothing in Windex can “neutralize” the corrosive residue left in your bore... The salts must be dissolved and washed out.
The magic ingredient in windex is.....WATER! That and it has a bit of surfactants (soap).

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#14 Post by 72 usmc » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:42 pm

Yep, Water for salts, weak ammonia for copper, kind of a prewash, before you clean a firearm. If you really see copper in the lands and grooves then use Sweets 7.62 solvent that really gets at copper.
I remember the old post, pre crash were we had something like 12 pages of how everyone cleans their rifle :lol: :lol: :lol:

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#15 Post by 72 usmc » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:58 am

Is this 8mm Mauser?
AS a warning view this bit of information on Turk ammo( read your fired cartridges) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AunvMjcJPHY
Normal pressure bowl shaped primer hits vs slightly high pressure primer hits with cratering- raised edge around the primer hit's outer edge.
Screen Shot 2019-09-08 at 2.09.09 PM.png

Return to “German Rifles”