Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Is this an original sling for K98k

Gew88, Gew98, Kar98 etc.
Bear
United States of America

Is this an original sling for K98k

#1 Post by Bear » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:46 pm

I would like to get everyone’s opinion on the sling that is on my friend’s 1939 Sauer und Sohn K98k Norwegian capture rifle. Is it an original? He knows that it’s been on the rifle since his father got the rifle in the 70s or early 1980s.
I’m sorry for the poor pictures but my phone isn’t the best at pictures.

I found a great website to compare my friend’s sling with:
https://www.bergflak.com/slings.html

I’ll start with the metal buckle. No markings on this buckle at all. Although they made some with no markings.

The leather strap is 46 1/2” long including the buckle. It is 15/16” wide. The ricasso pattern or diamond pattern on the originals were flanked by two impressed lines. Those lines are not very evident on this one although I can see what looks like an impressed line at some places. In my pictures where I’m holding the strap up with my fingers I can see some of the impressed lines. It definitively has the ricasso / diamond pattern. Right down near the pointed tip of the strap is what appears to be a zero with maybe something in front of it just like the 40 in one of the pictures on the website. I really can only make out the 0. I couldn’t get a photo of the 0.
The strap only has TWO eyelets cut instead of three. I think all real ones had three but not sure.
The rear sling stopper or keeper is unmarked. The stud is metal. It has a pebble grain finish instead of the ricasso/diamond finish.

I would appreciate your thoughts!!! Thanks!
Attachments
D48D9B60-A783-4990-AEEE-9D3105FCBDDC.jpeg

Bear
United States of America

Re: Is this an original sling for K98k

#2 Post by Bear » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:53 pm

D5783C2D-DDDB-4142-828B-0AB6838A3C67.jpeg
Attachments
03D7980A-A7E9-4E25-97DA-F9E96D31C88C.jpeg
258A0A60-58EE-4D14-92C0-A957966FF7EA.jpeg
440D97A6-88E8-49C6-9A4E-7B025BE15B6D.jpeg
9B3FEE0C-0869-48CE-92B9-EACA9152B2DD.jpeg

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#3 Post by Rapidrob » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:44 am

Looks just like the one on my Yugo M48 rifle.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#4 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:51 am

I am unsure, it could be Austrian post war or if it has stitching along the edges a Norwegian made sling, but the ones I see do not have a cross hatched pattern. The frosh looks darker than the sling leather if that is a fact? I thinkest :shifty: it's a miss match on those two items!
The steel button would be/could be late war German since everything is unmarked. The pebble grain on the frosch is German, but I do not like the sticking at the buckle endow the lighter colored sling. It has 2 lines rather than 3 lines of stitching generally seen on my German K98 slings. My Yugo slings are smooth. It is a nice sling, not a reproduction. also see Yugo and Austrian, http://www.rollanet.org/~stacyw/

I am tempted to guess the frosch is German and the sling is Austrian or Norwegian made. I favor Austrian. But I am no expert. It is a very nice original sling. It is not a BK marked Yugo nor an Israeli K98 sling. If You want it to be German, that is OK for a late war unmarked sling with a steel button. :doh: :confusion-confused: :confusion-shrug:

:think: So when are we going to see a photo record of this Norwegian K98 with lots of macro shots so I can add it to the Mauser post. :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :think:
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

M67
Slovenia

#5 Post by M67 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:08 am

Rapidrob wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:44 am
Looks just like the one on my Yugo M48 rifle.
Could be austrian but definitely not for yugo M48. I had many of them, and all of them would be made of smooth, natural leather
»You're a disgrace. I'd like to know how you got to be a Captain, anyway. »Yossarian: »You promoted me.« Colonel Cathcart: » That has got nothing to do with it.«

Bear
United States of America

#6 Post by Bear » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:12 pm

72usmc...I need to get some kind of macro lens for my phone. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I know there are a lot of different ones. I have an iPhone 6S. It’s a lot easier to balance my iPhone and light etc than to deal with my digital camera (which I would also have to get anew lens to do this). I may post about how everyone takes their pictures!!! What an idea! Even a blind hog gets a nut every once in awhile😊

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#7 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:40 pm

Asking the wrong person, an old fart with a 10 year old flip phone and a rotary on the wall. I use an ancient Cannon early digital power shot SD 1000 that has all kinds of settings. Macro works fine. :violin: It is only 7.1 pixels. It provides OK photos. this one has all the stuff:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-PowerSho ... :rk:2:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-PowerSho ... rk:27:pf:0

It has light type setting macro or normal or 3 other distances,color & b& W settings , many pixel setting,evaluative center or spot focus, night sun or indoor and flash settings ,heck so many settings it can do all sorts of things. A nice camera for 25 bucks at a pawn shop. Be sure you get the whole set in the box. It works fine with my 5 year old new used mac and my wife's new mac.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Bear
United States of America

#8 Post by Bear » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:28 pm

Old fart here too! A couple of thoughts about the strap and frosch: the color of each is pretty much the same darker brown color. You’ll see from my differing light sources they still look close to each other. The pebble grain on the frosch worries me. I’ve not seen that in other frosch pictures. I have seen it in pictures of German WWII ammo pouches! According to what I’ve read and I am open to other sources, the MP38/40 sling was not as long as this. This one is only about 1/2” short of specs for the K98k sling. I also read that the Norwegian sling did not have the diamond pattern but that is only from once source. I definitely see some stamped indentation on the reverse side of the leather right near the pointy end of the strap and it looks like just one letter/number like a 0

I also saw from a single source that the Yugo M48 has a brass stud while this one is steel. Again, that’s one source. The sling and the frosch are both definitely brown leather. The strap almost feel wet to the touch from some type of leather treatment. It’s not all oil from someone just cleaning the rifle. I also feel like that if I pulled on it that it’s wet enough to stretch an inch or so. The wetness is only in the way it feels. It does not transfer to a cloth at all. Very soft, kinda old soft.
Anyway, I just though I would add these bits for the record.
Attachments
57AC1073-E633-4DDA-8E27-8F2616FCB69C.jpeg

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#9 Post by Rapidrob » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:30 pm

It is what is on my rifle, right or wrong. If you find out what/who it really is, please post.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

Bear
United States of America

#10 Post by Bear » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:04 pm

Raindrop does your have the pebble leather on the frosch? Does your strap have two or three button holes? Thanks!!

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#11 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:26 pm

It is better that the colors match (thats what I would expect), and if you see some kind of faint markings, it is more evidence it might be German. Pebble grain leather is a German thing found on WW II holsters, ammo pouches, equipment straps/belts, map cases, sight carry cases and boots. At the end of the war anything and everything was being used so if pebble grain leather was around it was used on the Forsch like a steel button rather than brass. Just more evidence it's most likely original German. Look at the thickness of the leather. The thicker leather seems to be an Austrian thing, but who knows what was put to use at the end of the war. Law does not review slings in his book the Backbone of the Wehrmacht, I never had cash to buy the primary new reference books. I have a friend that had his dad's k98 bring back with a bread bag strap as a sling. Stupid me traded for the Nazi helmet, not the rifle :roll: That was back in 1968.

:idea: Rapidrob, back in the day at Fleet & Farm, the stores they had M48s and M48A from Century in boxes that came with slings, cleaning kit and bayonet. Price was $79 on sale, or $109 per rifle- the good old days. They would have 20 to 30 boxes at each store. I would look at each one because I knew the workers and they would bring them out because I would get 2 or 3 at a time. I was looking for all matching, or ones that had trench art carvings on the stock. I did see Yugo slings mostly with plain leather straps, but a few had some with a thicker leather with cross hatched pattern in the box. The Frosch was never pebble grained or German marked. At least I never found any. I actually found one Israeli marked strap on the metal. Some of the newer slings had a BK mark on the rear of the Forsch. Most were plain leather lacking markings. So I think some German or Austrian straps were mixed in the lots. If you found a nice pebble grain fosch in a Yugo box, that was a lucky day. Really neat trench art, carved stocks were also a hard find, most just had initials carved into the stock.
Last edited by 72 usmc on Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#12 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:32 pm

One final note, on almost all German slings there are 3 rows of stitching not just 2. I got to look at some of my M48s to see what type of stitching is present on a Yugo sling. Here is another pebble grain frosch. You even have the dirty bird screaming I'm German!
23_frosch_B.jpg

Is my memory gone, My M48s have Yugo slings lacking the roller buckle lock mechanism that has the three stitch lines, however my three k98 Yugo Mauser rebuilds have German like slings with a plain leather, no cross weave pattern, but has the roller buckle lock mechanism. An example is shown in the K98 post, showing my Yugo k98s. They have 3 lines of stitching. The frosch is plain with a BK in circle marking.
a m48 sling
web_5789-500x500.jpg
web_5789-500x500.jpg (32.75 KiB) Viewed 3251 times
s-l1600.jpg
Lots of these on Flee bay

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#13 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:06 pm

Bear, that's got to be a real McCoy!

Bear
United States of America

#14 Post by Bear » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:56 pm

Interesting story about my first gun. I walked into an army surplus store well before age 18 and the guy had a barrel of never issued M48 rifles there for $35 each. He sold me one and let me pay him $5 a week. He let me take the rifle the first day and trusted me to comeback and pay. I had a he rifle as my deer gun through college and traded it at a gun show for a German helmet! It is a Norwegian capture M35 repainted with their new decal on it! I still have the helmet! The army surplus store lasted a few more years and closed when the guy died.

Return to “German Rifles”