Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

1895 Mauser

Gew88, Gew98, Kar98 etc.
Glenn B
United States of America

1895 Mauser

#1 Post by Glenn B » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:20 pm

I recently purchased what was billed as a "Mauser Chileno Model 1895 7mm". According to its markings, it was manufactured by Lowe in Berlin. It is in pretty good condition and so far as I can see all numbers match but there is no serial number on the bolt. I have few questions and one very important concern about it:

1. When I bought it at auction, it was billed as being chambered in 7mm. I am assuming that would mean 7x57mm Mauser ammunition. Is that correct?

2. Where is the chambering marked on this firearm? I cannot find the chamber size marked anywhere on the exterior of the rifle. I have heard it may be
marked on the bottom of the barrel but very little of that is not covered by wood. My concern here is that I have heard some are marked for 7.62x51mm
ammo and not for 7x57mm ammo.

3. While I cannot find a serial number on the bolt (which is turned down), there is the number 88 on the rear left side and on the safety lever. Is this the correct bolt for this model?

4. I have not stripped it yet, because I do not know how to do so and am looking for a reliable video on how to do so. If you can point me in the right direction it would be appreciated. I have already viewed a couple where the guys in them in essence attacked the tension clips, holding the barrel bands in place, with a screwdriver. I'd like to know how to completely disassemble and reassemble this rifle the correct way.

Thanks for any help you can give.

All the best,
Glenn B

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: 1895 Mauser

#2 Post by Rapidrob » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:04 pm

If your rifle was in 7.62 NATO it will be marked as a/ 61 model.
Other wise it is still in 7mm Mauser
The barrel is not marked as such and never was.
If you have the short rifle in NATO it will have a 2 Grove barrel.
Most of the converted rifles will be marked 1912/61.
If your rifle is not marked as such it will be in 7mm.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#3 Post by 72 usmc » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:31 pm

see this http://dutchman.rebooty.com/1895Chile.html

all the close up markings cartouches and details for a correct matching rifle are shown on PP. 278-281 in Bolt action Military Rifles of the World by Mowbray & Puleo 2009. Get a copy -- a must have book. On a Chilean 1895 all numbers match and are on all parts. The bolt will have the entire serial number on the stem and the ball will have similar looking asterisk like symbol the stem will have two crossed hammers after the serial number. The serial number will be on the left side of the receiver and on the wood just below the receiver number. Even the cleaning rod will be marked with the entire serial number.
Last edited by 72 usmc on Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Glenn B
United States of America

#4 Post by Glenn B » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:43 pm

Thanks for the info on the chambering.

As for taking it down, I ventured into that without a video to guide me. I got it apart fairly easily, the only brain teasers were that I had to figure out how to get off the top hand guard without cracking it (that took maybe half a minute to a minute) and then to get off the barrel bands. I had an idea of how to do so but that did not work using a clamp (with rubber pads) and pressure from a brass punch but that was not working so I just used all my might to depress the clip that holds each band in place and then a gunsmith's hammer (the nylon end) to tap off the bands. I tend to think some grim and the slight bit of surface rust that was present made it more difficult than I imagine it will be next time since I cleaned those parts and put a bit of oil on them.

The only things that I did not disassemble were the trigger group, the rear and front sights, the bolt release lever or whatever it is called, and the bolt. I did not get to the bolt mostly because I would like to see its disassembly in a video first but also because I ran out of time; I need to do some chores around the house. As for the trigger assembly, I see no reason to take it apart.

I have to say that this rifle's metal parts are in 95 or better finish condition (except maybe for the butt plate) in my untrained (as to firearms grading) opinion. The wood is not quite as nice with small dings here and there but still nice with nothing serious and there are no cracks evident anywhere.

By the way, when I had it disassembled, I placed or tried to place a 308 round into the chamber - it would not go. Then I placed a 7x57mm Mauser round into it and it slid in nicely. I think a range trip is in order soon although if I can find a gunsmith to check the headspace, for a reasonable price, I will have that done fist. The $50 price quote I was given, at a local gun store a few years ago, for having that done to my Yugoslavian 24/47 Mauser was a bit too much for my pocketbook back then and I can only imagine it has gone up by now while my income has not.

All the best,
Glenn B

Glenn B
United States of America

#5 Post by Glenn B » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:46 pm

72 usmc wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:31 pm
see this http://dutchman.rebooty.com/1895Chile.html
I saw that before disassembling it. That is why I tried placing the 308 round into the chamber. No way it would go in without forcing it. Also, no evidence of the markings mentioned above by Rapidrob indicating that it was rechambered. So, I am confident it was not rechambered.

Thanks,
Glenn B
Last edited by Glenn B on Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#6 Post by 72 usmc » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:52 pm

Here is a reference library with all the close up views of an Chilean 1895 rifle . They also have the carbine and short rifle shown:
https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/p ... ategory=82
Here is their view of a correct bolt and its markings:
Screen Shot 2018-04-26 at 2.52.50 PM.png
Any old guy into surplus firearms at the range will have at least the FIELD reject gauge for a 7mm Mauser. Just ask. Drop in a FIELD gauge and see if the bolt closes down on the gauge. Those are finely crafted German made mausers and if the bolt is correct and matches you should have no problem. However, many sold by Gander Mountain when they were $160 a rifle had miss matched bolts. Also the 1912 Chilean bayonet will not fit the 1895 rifle. You need a 1895 bayonet, nor will an 1895 bayonet fit a 1912 Chilean mauser. Prvi Partizan makes 7mm ammo about 13-15 per box of 20.
Last edited by 72 usmc on Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Glenn B
United States of America

#7 Post by Glenn B » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:04 pm

Thanks, 72 usmc, for the pic and the link. Mine has a bent bolt handle. It has the same proof mark on the head of the bolt handle but does not exhibit it nor the serial number on the arm of the bolt handle. I'll have to check further to see it they ever made them with a bent bolt or if this was done in the armory or afterwards. The rest of it looks the same as in the picture.

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#8 Post by 72 usmc » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:09 pm

carbine https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/p ... ategory=82

short rifle https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/p ... ategory=82

Carbine & short rifle____Both had bent bolts so if you have a long rifle the bolt was switched out and does not match. If that is the case use a FIELD gauge and check it out

Glenn B
United States of America

#9 Post by Glenn B » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:41 pm

72 usmc wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:09 pm
carbine https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/p ... ategory=82

short rifle https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/p ... ategory=82

Carbine & short rifle____Both had bent bolts so if you have a long rifle the bolt was switched out and does not match. If that is the case use a FIELD gauge and check it out
Thanks for that advice. I do not have a short rifle or carbine so I guess I should get a field gauge to check it or have a gunschmid do it if they don't charge more than it cost for a gauge.

Glenn B
United States of America

#10 Post by Glenn B » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:54 pm

Mine has a B prefix in the serial number. I just read the article at this link: http://www.shootingtimes.com/long-guns/ ... el_201007/; the article states that those destined to the Transvaal had a B prefix on the serial number. A few sources I have read have indicated that some destined to South Africa had turned down bolts. many never made it there but were diverted to Chile. Now they have me wondering if this may have been a rifle meant for delivery to the South African Transvaal but that got diverted. It is getting interesting. Still though, since the bolt has the number 88 stamped on it, instead of 00 (last two of the serial number on the receiver and note 00, instead of the complete serial number, appear on the magazine floor plate), I believe the bolt was possibly changed out and will still take the advice about the field gauge.

nrobertb
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#11 Post by nrobertb » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:53 am

My Chilean Mauser also has a turned down bolt.
Attachments
1895%207_zpsegpb5m43.jpg

vandle
Australia

#12 Post by vandle » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:03 am

I have a quick question in relation to this particular model.
I have been eyeing off a Chilean Short rifle 1895 in 7mm with a scrubbed receiver.

The rear sling loop is mounted on the bottom of the stock and on the lower barrel band.
Normally they would be on the side of the butt stock and on the left on the lower barrel band.

Would this indicate this particular rifle may be a cut down long rifle??
Or did some come this way from the factory?

Cheers
Life is tough, tougher if your stupid

Return to “German Rifles”