Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Reloading 8x57 on the cheap?

Gew88, Gew98, Kar98 etc.
DaleH
United States of America

Reloading 8x57 on the cheap?

#1 Post by DaleH » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:08 pm

Want to get a friend into shooting cast loads over a load like 16-grns 2400 out of his ‘duffle cut’ 98K that his Father brought back from Pilsen, CZ. He wants to shoot it w/ the grandson, hence the reduced load.

Anyone know of any other die ‘close’ to that of the 8x57 that could be used to neck-size only the brass? Trying to find a used set of 8x57s to no avail.

Smokey
United States of America

Re: Reloading 8x57 on the cheap?

#2 Post by Smokey » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:50 pm

I've used LEE collet dies quite a bit. They really extend case life as well by working the necks a LOT less.
https://leeprecision.com/reloading-dies ... -die-only/
They are available for 8x57mm Mauser. You can also get complete die sets.
Arguing with someone who denounces reason is like administering medicine to a corpse.

DaleH
United States of America

#3 Post by DaleH » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:51 pm

Smokey wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:50 pm
I've used LEE collet dies quite a bit.
Me too, they are great for bolt rifles. He’s never reloaded, so I was Trying to help him do it on the cheap. But maybe I will just get him dies (and he can get the bullets) and I will load them on my press for him.

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#4 Post by 72 usmc » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:13 pm

A cheep way is to find an old 8x57 Mauser hand Lee loader set from the 1960s in the cardboard box. But that might be a collectable :doh:
see https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/lee-lo ... reloading/
they no longer make all of these see titan https://www.titanreloading.com/classic-lee-loader
I know the 7mm Mauser, 8mm mauser, and 8mm lebel sets are no longer made; you have to find an old set on flee bay, a rummage sale or gun show. They neck size only and fire formed cartridges should be keep separate and fired in the same rifle.

Instructions and an example in .303 British is posted here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TAHq2zKqS0
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

viking
United States of America

#5 Post by viking » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:10 pm

First reloader set i bought back in the early 70s,still use mine sometimes.

professrh
United States of America

#6 Post by professrh » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:51 pm

I've used Lee dies--both FL and collet--to good effect with the 8x57.

Prvi makes good, inexpensive 175-grain SPs that fly well for me, and I've gotten good accuracy (if a bit middling in velocity) using RAD 78 / IMR 7383, a surplus powder RapidRob posted about back before "the incident." (I haven't used Speer hot-cor bullets in the 8x57, but I'm very impressed with them in 6.5x55 and 30-06. Grafs has them, usually, at remarkably low prices, relatively speaking.)

I also have a Lee "nutcracker-style" press, which doesn't cost much but takes more effort than a bench-mounted press.

All that said, I wouldn't shoot much if I didn't handload my ammo. Tell your friend, welcome to the hobby, and best wishes.

--Prof

Return to “German Rifles”