Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Want to Find the Right Karabiner 98k

Gew88, Gew98, Kar98 etc.
CamaroDMD
United States of America

Re: Want to Find the Right Karabiner 98k

#16 Post by CamaroDMD » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:16 am

72 usmc wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:58 am
CamaroDMD, Please if you get time in the future, no rush, please snap some reference photos- close ups of the receiver marks, the wood finish, the bolt, and the restamped serial number fonts on that collector grade Mitchell and a few pictures of the other details like the blue, the box, the certificate and add the photo documentation of your Mitchell to my post here so people can see overview photos of a 2008 Mitchell. This is the post to add photos to as a significant contribution to the forum data. see lower link. The more photos the better, but you are limited to 5 per reply so you just keep adding replies till all photos are posted on this topic:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1911
If possible that would be fantastic.
I will pull it out this weekend and take a bunch of photos. The rifle was purchased at a local gun shop...not directly from Mitchell's in 2008 so I don't know if it's actually a "2008" rifle or slightly older...but if I remember right they started doing them in 2006 so it's an early one none the less. I will definitely post photos.

Question question for you. Is it safe to assume that all numbers on this rifle (except for the receiver) are fake?

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#17 Post by 72 usmc » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:23 am

If they match, they are restamped by Mitchell. That is why I would like to show an example of the fonts, you can cover the first 2 #s on the serial number in the photo so people do not see the entire 4 numbers, just the last two can show. Some cover the serial number others do not. Most RCs had a mixed package of parts when rebuilt by Ivan. Smaller parts may have the 4 digit or just the last 2 digits stamped. Now on a Mitchell, Others may be polished smooth and no number left on a real small part. Germans were crazy about marking parts. Ivan and Mitchell, not so much. It will be interesting to see if all the parts are renumbered or more likely some are left smooth, and not restamped where the German serial # was removed. Back in the day, I never gave Mitchells a second look- I was after odd ball RCs.

A Mitchell K98 is a US Mitchell factory rebuild where the old German mix of numbered parts on an Russian RC were ground and polished off the parts and then restamped to match. Ivan just left the German number and reused a good part to build a like new mixmaster, RC Mauser rifle for WW III. On a Mitchell, the original German numbers are on the barrel/receiver group. Again, Mitchell selected the best RCs for their rebuild. Less condition RCs that failed the condition requirements were sold as RCs or just not purchased by them. The ones they purchased and later rejected were given a Mitchell import mark on the barrel and sold as a RC. No other modifications were done to these rejects. That is what saved them, from the Mitchell conversion. Hence, some RC Mausers with poor or pitted bores or bad muzzle wear were not good enough for Mitchell to rebuild and sell at their high asking price. These RCs just have a Mitchell import mark. Come to think about it , I have never seen a Mitchell with a counter bore. But I have seen many RCs with counterbores.

While what you paid is easy to get back out of that rifle since prices are so high on Mausers, when you purchased it, you could get a Mauser for around $150-200. You paid twice what a shooter was going for. Over time it has evened out since you did not get the $700 one.

Look at the remaining numbers on your dad's sporter, you will see different fonts on the small stamped parts. Those will be the correct size and font for that 243 code. You will see that they are not the same as the Mitchell restamped #s. Also on bring backs there are slight variations in fonts on the parts. Only the experts can tell since there are so many fakers and now they sell new-made repro German codes and number stamp sets and K98 stamps -its crazy. If you pay top buck on a bring back you best have an expert look it over. There are fake stock stamps and metal stamps for German Mausers and US rifles.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

CamaroDMD
United States of America

#18 Post by CamaroDMD » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:07 pm

I will definitely sit down and compare them.

I have noticed that the German's loved their serial numbers. I have a mismatched P08 Luger pistol that I bought as a shooter (specifically looked for a mismatched gun for that purpose). It is built from two different guns. It's amazing how many parts are numbered.

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#19 Post by 72 usmc » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:41 pm

This goes with my original and my .22 Luger
:clap: :doh: :think: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/WWII_Lim ... Metal/3728
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

VMASCIOP2000
United States of America

#20 Post by VMASCIOP2000 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:19 am

Federal and Remington manufacture 8mm Mauser ammo that is mild (fun) to shoot ,has softer primers ,are non-corrosive, and are surprisingly accurate. The Federal , for me , wins for more accuracy, of the two. Shooting may help the bore shine up also. If you enjoy a more authentic recoil, the Sellior and Bellot (yeah might be wrong spelling) Has a heavier soft point bullet with a sharp shoulder that cuts clean holes in the target, with a higher velocity. A different level of fun.
I was R.L.E.V.M. on our old forum.

Return to “German Rifles”