Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Military Surplus k98ks commonly found at gun shows

Gew88, Gew98, Kar98 etc.
Curtis762
United States of America

Re: Military Surplus k98ks commonly found at gun shows

#151 Post by Curtis762 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:12 pm

There needs to be a book for all of these! I know there are books that cover many of the 98k and Mausers but I would like to see one like this post. I have several on the Mauser rifle and the Yugo, but I could only imagine learning more about the ones that aren't talked about as much as the German Mausers. I'm really into the post war Czech versions but information on them is still limited. I think they are underrated, even though I hope they remain that way so I can afford more, but I don't want to see them turned into sporters. I also think the Yugo refurbs are great too. These are the two that I like to focus on so I can learn more about them. I did come across an Argentino 1909 at a pawn shop for $400, out the door, the other day. I quickly came home to read up on it. I'm always finding out more and always surprised to see how many different variations of the Mauser there are. Keep up the good work and lets see some more of what we find.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#152 Post by 72 usmc » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:16 pm

ON 14 DEC 2019 I DID AN ACTIVE LINK CHECK. Inactive links are indicated in light orange. The dark orange is a "word search" to paste into a google search in order to go to the reference link. Both sources still function, just that the Milsurps Knowledge Library limits the number of views for visitors. It is a great source information.

With most posts, I reposted the information into the forum at the time of writing and made a photocopy of all the work up to page 6. The information remains, but the reference source for some of the quotes & pictures are now blank/inactive. This occurs with many of the auction sites like Libertytreecollectors. Only their designated Libertytreecollectors Reference Library examples are maintained. Other posts and photos go inactive and disappear. Hence, I reproduced the quotes and photos I wanted the reader to view in the posts, just that their source is now dead. In one or two of the other reference links, I have noticed some photos are missing or blurred by PHOTO BUCKET due to forum members using secondary sources/hosting agents to post photos in the many different forums used as references.

On page 2 a link that had some great reference photos that went blank. Here is the original link:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Blac ... 14-427566/
Gunny USMC photo's of his rifle were outstanding documentation of his example of a Romanian/Albanian/ Balkan K98k. I took photos of my photo copy. THIS ALLOWED ME to repost his missing photos. They are not as clear as the originals, but better than none at all. Here are the missing 16 pictures.
IMG_2431.jpg
IMG_2419.jpg
IMG_2421.jpg
IMG_2432.jpg
IMG_2433.jpg
Last edited by 72 usmc on Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:22 pm, edited 8 times in total.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#153 Post by 72 usmc » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:20 pm

Balkan K98k Missing gunnyusmc photos continued:
IMG_2422.jpg
IMG_2434.jpg
IMG_2420.jpg
IMG_2423.jpg
IMG_2424.jpg
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#154 Post by 72 usmc » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:22 pm

Balkan K98k Missing gunnyusmc photos continued:
IMG_2426.jpg
IMG_2427.jpg
IMG_2425.jpg
IMG_2428.jpg
IMG_2429.jpg

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#155 Post by 72 usmc » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:23 pm

Balkan K98k Missing gunnyusmc photos continued: Overview
IMG_2420.jpg
IMG_2431.jpg
IMG_2430.jpg

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#156 Post by 72 usmc » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:50 pm

Here are Indys missing photos:

Report Quote
Post by indy1919a4 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:13 pm

Well had me going with all the Norwegian talk had to pick up one that was at a local gun show.. Had one but the wood really called to me with this one.. Love that dark rose wood color.

Reposted 14 Dec 2019
wmkv42.jpg
259cob4.jpg
jim9gl.jpg

Post by indy1919a4 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:52 am

72 usmc wrote: ↑Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:48 pm

By the way, you realized that you used up all of your luck for this year on that find.
Can you provide some better bolt head pictures, and close ups of the wood stock modifications.
Nonsense, I make my own luck.. and there is more to come :)

Here is a photo of the bolt

29bipgo.jpg
The bolt is all matching number, The firing pin is not numbered. The stock parts are all matching the original German serial number

Will get some stock photos in a bit.

update, I kinda lied to you, the Butt stock plate is numered the same number that the Norwegian renumbered the rifle to. The rest of the stock pieces are numbered to the original German number .

The sight has some Waffenamts on it, but is a different number to either the Norwegian number or the German number.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#157 Post by 72 usmc » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:54 pm

Here is the final repost of Indys photos 14 Dec 2019. These were taken from the Wayback machine save I did for each page. They now have been added by the forum method and should stay in place. Unfortunately i could not place them into his post.
At least the data is reposted. So two corrections have been made in order to add the missing photos.
Post by indy1919a4 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:33 pm

Speaking of Norwegian k98s reminds me of a display in Norway at the Oslo Resistance museum.
ve7y20.jpg
4sxy7q.jpg
1z4g5zk.jpg

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#158 Post by 72 usmc » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:31 pm

Israeli K98k Mauser .22 Caliber Trainer Rifle

Here is a .22cal. K98K trainer that is an Israeli marked K98k from Libertytreecollectors: This link will go inactive, but this is the source of quote and all photos of this fantastic K98K from Libertytreecollectors. Ya, 900+ bucks :doh:
https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/p ... dcategory=
Serial number #1769 This offering is for the pictured Israeli K98 Mauser .22 Caliber Training Rifle. In very good looking condition, maker marked from FN, Fabrique Nationale Belgium on military contract.

Matching serial numbers bolt to receiver. Standard sized K98, metal has smooth parkerized finish with wear on the barrel muzzle area and trigger guard from use. Single shot bolt action appears mechanically fine.

Sound hardwood stock and hand guard with typical small dings and dents. Marked 0.22 on the right butt.
Chambered in .22 rimfire, the bore is brite with very good rifling. Import marked.

Photos of this fine example:
769Z98.1.jpg
769Z98.jpg
769Z98.3.jpg
769Z98.7.jpg
769Z98.16.jpg
Last edited by 72 usmc on Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#159 Post by 72 usmc » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:33 pm

More pictures of the K98K .22 trainer:
769Z98.11.jpg
769Z98.12.jpg
769Z98.13.jpg
769Z98.15.jpg
769Z98.10.jpg

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#160 Post by 72 usmc » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:37 pm

More pictures of the K98K .22 trainer:
769Z98.2.jpg
769Z98.6.jpg
769Z98.4.jpg
769Z98.8.jpg
769Z98.9.jpg
This is one fine .22 cal trainer. but its value is off the charts $900+ I have never seen one of these at gun shows in the last 25 years- hence its price.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#161 Post by 72 usmc » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:46 pm

FN Mausers and the Fight for Israel
by Anthony Vanderlinden - Friday, October 19, 2018 and a new book.
Screen Shot 2019-12-19 at 7.04.55 PM.png
#3 rifle
Screen Shot 2019-12-19 at 7.07.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-19 at 7.07.48 PM.png (36.37 KiB) Viewed 1115 times
Libertytreecollectors rifle;
769Z98.2.jpg
769Z98.2.jpg (42.35 KiB) Viewed 1114 times
link:
https://www.americanrifleman.org/articl ... or-israel/

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#162 Post by 72 usmc » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:53 pm

For those that just have to have an original bring back.... here is a caution. Have an expert along if you pay big bucks. Or buy one with papers from a trusted seller or vet that brought it back-- now-a-days most likely his son or daughter that it was passed onto.

Here is a nice link to show the average collector how close the fakes are. http://www.latewar.com has some interesting information: weapons, k98forum, 1945 serial & models, field gear...
Take the test can you ID the restamped rifle?? :shhh: :doh: :think: :think: :think: ;)
Detecting the Fakes
link http://www.latewar.com/html/fake1.htm

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#163 Post by 72 usmc » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:13 pm

Czechoslovakia post-war K98s , Winter trigger guards
These have the lion proof 'acceptence' mark. These are examples of POST WAR made in 1945, but after the war was over and are commonly referred to as 'winter' or arctic K98k models. These are the sweet ones with receiver marking intact and early. Listed for sale in late Jan. 2020.

CLASSIC has some interesting Czech, 8mm, Model 98 Mausers, with markings intact such as SWP or DOT 1945 Dated, Post War rifles. These have the winter trigger guards and some are as found untouched, others have been reconditioned by James River Armory for Classic. Not so good. However, some interesting photographic examples are shown of each variety. The photos are from Classic's web page & posted here as a record of some nice specimens. Prices are not cheep. For a reconditioned one around $899 or an as found example at $699 .
Screen Shot 2020-02-02 at 7.59.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-03 at 8.47.48 AM.png

Listed Jan 2020 and Classic states:
Highly collectible Model 98 Mauser made at the Waffen Werke Brunn factory in Czechoslovakia in 1945 under Nazi oversight and occupation. Sometime in late 1944 / early 1945, the Waffen Werke Brunn factory changed their production code on the K-98 rifles they were producing from DOT to SWP. The group of rifles we are selling under this SKU contains either the DOT or the SWP receiver stamping as well as the year of manufacture 1945 on top of the receiver. Other original war and post-war stamping are visible as well. All feature the rare winter trigger guards. Laminated stocks, and cupped butt plates. 8mm Mauser ( 8x57 ) caliber. 5 Round, Bolt Action. C & R Eligible. These rifles have all been pofessionally refurbished to our specifications by our friends at James River Armory. They specialize in the restoration of historic firearms.

Their details for the" Reconditioned Specimens" are described as:
Very Rare and Highly Collectible German / Czech Model 98 Mauser K-98 Rifles. 8mm, 5 Round, Bolt Action, Laminated Stock, Cupped Buttplate, Winter Trigger Guards... All the ones that we have seen have also had the coin style engraved inlay in the stock. * Refurbished Condition - See Details Below.

This group of K-98 Mauser rifles was manufactured at the Waffen Werke Brunn factory in Czechoslovakia, which was producing for Germany under Nazi control and occupation at the time. The factory later gained fame as the Czech Brno plant. K-98 rifles made at this factory originally carried the DOT manufacturers stamp on the receiver but transitioned to SWP sometime in 1945. These will either be DOU, SWP, or DOT and while supplies last you can select your desired manufaturer under the custom option field.

This group of rifles is highly desirable to collectors due to the limited numbers of total rifles produced with these stampings, as well as the unique characteristics and marking that these rifles carried. They are a piece of history, and we are proud to be able to offer this exclusive small lot.

* About the condition. The rifles under this SKU have been lightly refurbished to our specifications by our friends at James River Armory. They specialize in the restoration of historic firearms, and in our opinion, no one does it better. In this case the restoration consisted of the following. All metal parts were professionally cleaned and re-blued to an as issued finish. Missing sight hoods were replaced, and bores were scrubbed to remove any storage residue. There is no such thing as refurbishing a bore, but the bores have been cleaned, and we are told that they average from dark but serviceable to quite lovely. Just know that even though the external metal will be refurbished the rifles are still surplus and bore condition will vary just like with any surplus rifle and as such we make no guarantees in terms of bore condition. It may be pristine, or it may be a sewer pipe, but either way is the luck of the draw. Having said that, JRA has told us that although bore conditions varied that many cleaned up quite nicely.
As for the wood. Stocks were only lightly refinished as we did not want to remove all of the original military carry character that they possessed. Still, they have been dramatically improved from the original condition, and we think they turned out great. All of these rifles have the unique DOT style stamped front barrel band.

The result of this refurbish is a wonderful rifle that is also a piece of history. Also, since we first ran these rifles, in their first turn in condition, we have learned that they are even more special and collectible than we first knew. This particular group of K-98's was sold on contract to the country of Ethiopia. That is why they have the Saint George medallion in the stock. They are quite rare and have seldom been seen stateside.

Please know that even though these have been refurbished, we do offer a hand select as some just inherently have prettier stocks and markings on them than others. Choosing Hand Select will get you the best of 10 cosmetically. Please know that even in hand-select, we do not grade for bore condition. Grading bore condition is highly subjective, and as such, we do not factor bore condition into our grading process.
The details for the "As Found Specimens" are described as :
Original, Very Rare and Highly Collectible German / Czech Model 98 Mauser K-98 Rifles. 8mm, 5 Round, Bolt Action, NRA Surplus Good Condition, Laminated Stock, Cupped Buttplate, Winter Trigger Guards... All the ones that we have seen have also had the coin style engraved inlay in the stock.

This group of K-98 Mauser rifles were manufacturered at the Waffen Werke Brunn factory in Czechoslovakia which was producing for Germany under Nazi control and occupation at the time. The factory later gained fame as the Czech Brno plant. K-98 rifles made at this factory originally carried the DOT manufacturers stamp on the receiver but transitioned to SWP sometime in 1945.

This group of rifles is highly desirable to collectors due to the limited numbers of total rifles produced with these stampings as well as the unique characteristics and marking that these rifles carried. They are a piece of history and we are proud to be able to offer this exclusive small lot.

About the condition. These rifles are in original surplus turn in condition and will show the typical wear that you would expect on 80 year old surplus military rifles. As such, expect typical digs and dings as well as bluing wear. Also many rifles will be missing their original sight hoods. Some may have a sling or a piece of a sling but much like getting one with a sight hood getting one with a sling will be luck of the draw. None that we have seen come with a cleaning rod and in fact we are told that the DOT / SWP 1945 model stocks were not drilled for rods. All have the unique DOT style stamped front barrel band. Bores are dark from storage and will vary as is typical with surplus and as such we make no guarantees in terms of bore condition. It may be pristine or it may be a sewer pipe but eiter way is luck of the draw.
Overall this is a pretty nice group of rifles by surplus standards. We would call them NRA surplus good overall.

We do offer a hand select that will get you the best of 10 cosmetically. Please know however that we will be hand selecting from a group of guns that we have already classified as NRA Surplus Good which avaerages about 60 % of like new condition. As such we would encourage you to have realistic expectations. Also know that we do not grade for bore condition. Grading bore condition is highly subjective and is also impossible to do without thoroughly cleaning the bore or sometimes even putting a few rounds through, and we do neither of those. As such, we do not factor bore condition into our grading process.
czech-mauser-dot_2_web-compressor.png
czech-mauser-dot_3_web-compressor.png
czech-mauser-swp_2_web-compressor.png
Last edited by 72 usmc on Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:04 am, edited 7 times in total.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#164 Post by 72 usmc » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:17 pm

Classic's unboxing video of these rifles:
https://www.classicfirearms.com/k98-cze ... =1&slide=0

AS FOUND CONDITION
The Classic views of the markings & receiver on the as found examples with nice patina, PERFECT! :clap: :dance: :
czech-mauser-dot_4_web-compressor.png
czech-mauser-dot_5_web-compressor.png
czech-mauser-swp_4_web-compressor.png
I would love one of these if I could be sure the bore was not a sewer pipe at $700. Just too much of a gamble at that price for a nice as found specimen with an early date 1945. I would have to have at least an average bore. It really sucks they do not clean the bores so they can be sorted by condition. Just bad luck.
It may be pristine or it may be a sewer pipe but eiter way is luck of the draw.
Ya right, sounds like a sucker bait to me.
Last edited by 72 usmc on Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:07 am, edited 6 times in total.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#165 Post by 72 usmc » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:43 pm

Here are pictures from Classic of the James River Armory reconditioned rifles-- I prefer the" As found condition" . These remind me too much of Mitchell-like redos. :doh: :doh: :puke-front:
The result of this refurbish is a wonderful rifle that is also a piece of history.
What a crock of ... , I guess with this type of BS, Mitchell's Mausers are too. :lol: :naughty: :naughty: And they actually charge more for this historical travesty!

:idea: My 2 cents, they would have made more cash keeping them historically intact and cleaning the bores. Grade them based upon out side condition and bore conditions, then codes. Then fix a price scale selling at different prices- all intact rifles. Since when does a re-blue of a historical firearm command higher value? :o :twisted:

Turds with clean bores-just altered beyond belief-reblued-not my cut of tea. Basically a Mitchell lacking restamps. But you get a nice repro cleaning rod & sight hood.
dsc_0782-_1_-compressor.jpg
dsc_0783-cut.jpg
dsc_0784-_1_.jpg
dsc_0787_1__1.jpg

Return to “German Rifles”