Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Romanian (Balkan) CaptureK98k specimens

Gew88, Gew98, Kar98 etc.
72 usmc
United States of America

Romanian (Balkan) CaptureK98k specimens

#1 Post by 72 usmc » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:00 am

A old favorite
I have read about these and finally picked one up. Here are some photos.
There is a difference between an RC(Russian Capture) and these Romanian/Balkan ( see Sgt Steiner's correction) capture rifles:
An RC will have a reddish to dark brown stock, the Romanian will have an original stock with dark well worn, aged patina. No shellac on an original K98 just an oiled finish with patina and stock numbers inside that generally match the receiver. Some of these stocks are in pretty original condition, mine is well used.

The RC will have a heavy sanded mark on the left where the Russians restamped the stock- with the serial # horizontal and deeply stamped. The Romanian mauser will not exhibit sanding. There is no serial # restamped on the left side. Numbers are under the butt ??, under the handguard and stamped in the barrel channel.

An RC ( most) will have a black blued bolt with an electro written serial number on the top ( this is a forced match to the stamped original receiver #). see lower photo. Some have removed the number and buffed the bolt so it is in the white. The Romanian Capture generally has a miss matched bolt, but the bolt matches itself or possibly the bolt body is different from all the other bolt parts, but these internal parts will match. The bolt will be unblued ??( I guess if I look close at my bolt it was blued at one time, but mostly worn off) Anyone have a photo of a Romanian capture with a blued bolt or blue mostly intact ?? Any with a matching bolt to receiver?? Added as edit My bolt has a patina and does not look like a polished new bolt as seem on Mitchells. edit Original K98k's will have the bolt in the blue not white thanks: leadhead, all matching numbers on bolt that match receiver.

The RC receiver most likely will have the large "X " on the receiver's top or left side of the ring. No "X" on the Romanian receiver. Original K98s do not have X marks on them The RC & Romanian will have an import mark, :arrow: Original K98k bring backs do not have import marks.

An RC will have a crazy mix of serial numbers on the parts. Some will have line outs with electro penciled numbers to match the receiver # ( variations do exist). A Mitchell Mauser will be scrubbed and (FAKED) renumbered to match on all parts. Wrong font to the numbers. Original K98s will have all matching numbers, or almost all matching. The bolt could match itself, but not the rifle, most likly due to mix ups while cleaning in the field. All parts will be of the correct style for the year. On a Romanian there is a few miss matched parts, but generally all the parts on the stock match except the bolt, maybe the handguard or a few other small parts may be replacements. There is no mixture of late war and early war parts- machined and stamped parts - incorrect parts or the wrong wrong style stock for the year as found on RC Mausers.

Electro penciled, handwritten, numbers on an RC. Never on the Romanian captures I have seen????

The RC will generally come without a cleaning rod, sight hood, or capture screws found on the trigger assy screws. No sling ( Now some add originals after they buy an RC). Mitchells will have repro sight hoods, repro cleaning rods, repro capture screws, and a repro sling as it comes. My Romanian K98k capture came with a beat sight hood and original cleaning rod. I have seen others lacking cleaning rods, none have been observed as arriving with original slings. I would say they generally have no original cleaning rod, but have a sight hood and capture screws. Early ones have a German code # stamped on screws.

Added: On an RC the butt plate and doughnut bolt disassembly washer in the stock is blued by Ivan. In contrast, on a Romanian or WW II bring back k98k mauser the bolt disassembly discs or doughnut washers and the butt plate are in the white and not blued.

The RC can have Nazi markings intact or more likely pinged out on the dirty birds. Generally the swastika is punched and appears as a dot - a nicely done ping to remove the swastika leaving the stamped dot . All Nazi markings are intact on the Mitchell, and you may actually have some fake marks added! In contrast, the key Romanian capture trait is that the dirty bird is punched out with many little pings. They really wanted to deface these marks. They are not ground or hit with a single ping, rather lots of peck marks are used to obliterate the nazi marks. see photo examples.

Romanian specimens have Import marks that are found on barrel and no billboard import mark on the receiver. Some have Interordance others CAI.
Later sold Romanian ones may have a dot matrix serial number on the receiver???

The Butt Plate matches the rifle and the stock; it is generally original to the rifle. See this review of these Romanian captures. Feel free to add your observations & comments: I am sure other situations or observation exist on other rifles that I do not know about. If you have a Romanian capture please show all the photographic details. :clap: I would like to have a few specimens in this post to help members identify just what a Romanian Capture looks like. There also seems to be the fact that all Romanian examples are well used Mausers ; somewhat beat and heavily worn, lots of patina and character to the rifle. And an ORIGINAL STOCK. =D>

SEE THIS: http://www.cruffler.com/review-may-00.html

Photos of the Rifle I got for $250 that came from a guy that got it in the early 1990s
see link for many photos form the old forum:
https://web-beta.archive.org/web/201504 ... 1&t=136776
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

72 usmc
United States of America

Re: Romanian (Balkan) CaptureK98k specimens

#2 Post by 72 usmc » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:09 am

I am not sure if the mods want us to start putting up links to the many old posts but I saved many to the Wayback machine and you can find some of the better more informative posts at
http://archive.org/web/

Please let us know if you do not want the better old posts reposted with links.

We will also need a post on how the new forum allows us to post photos directly into the forum and also from sources like photo bucket. Posting direct allows the photo to be saved as long as the forum is active. With photo bucket the pics can be gone if the account is ended or photos are deleted from photo bucket. Can some mod please make a sticky on how to post photos???
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

72 usmc
United States of America

Re: Romanian (Balkan) CaptureK98k specimens

#3 Post by 72 usmc » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:39 pm

Here is a 24 page PDF copy from the old forum with most pictures,but not all intact. The Links no longer work, you have to paste them into a goggle search if you need to find the old posts referenced. This is the original SRF post captured on wayback dated 20 April 2015. If you are one of the authors with missing photos can you please repost the photos of some of the examples that were shown in the original post. It would be nice if we can restore the old photos that the many additional replys had. Thanks. Please do not link to other forums, please, just repost your missing photos or new photos in a reply so readers can see some of the nice examples. You guys & gals had much better specimens than mine. The wizard fixed this link so it now works.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2BZ02 ... sp=sharing
So anyone with a Balkan capture could you please document you specimen. Thank You.

Return to “German Rifles”