Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

grinding question

Gew88, Gew98, Kar98 etc.
Hammy
United States of America

grinding question

#1 Post by Hammy » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:12 pm

Hey folks. I have a K98 that I bought from an associate about 10 years ago. It's mostly numbers matching except the bolt. It's an AX code, 1944 dated receiver. All of the dirty birds have been thoroughly removed by grinding. A few of the waffennampfs remain, very few. In discussion with a semi-serious collector, I was informed that the grinding off of nazi symbols was a sign of Israeli use. However, I have seen a few pictures on the site here of IDF Mausers that still have the markings intact. Did the fellow know of what he spoke, or was he blowing smoke?? Eventually I will force myself to learn to post pictures here so all can see, because I have learned that if there are no pictures it don't exist!!! Oh, and it is import marked, but I don't have it in front of me and I can't recall who imported it. It is not a Russian Capture, there is no X any where on it. I look forward to any reply. Jim....
U.S. Marine Corps 1975-1979
Combat Engineer

ffuries
United States of America

Re: grinding question

#2 Post by ffuries » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:44 pm

I have a K98 that is an Balkan capture, I guess that is the correct term, it doesn't have the X on the reciever. Some of the markings have been pinged and the ones on the top of the reciever was ground.

In regards to your question IIRC some IDF Mausers were completely sanitized and some not. Somebody will be along to correct me if my memory is wrong.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

72 usmc
United States of America

#3 Post by 72 usmc » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:28 pm

Review this old post, sorry I am currently working on an update. See link:
http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewto ... ?f=13&t=13

A few pics of the removed Nazi markings and dirty birds may help.
also see this about Israeli k98s
https://wwiiafterwwii.wordpress.com/201 ... i-service/
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

ffuries
United States of America

#4 Post by ffuries » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:40 pm

The second link was an interesting and informative reading. So I did recall something correctly or close to correctly!
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

Return to “German Rifles”