Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Military Surplus k98ks commonly found at gun shows

Gew88, Gew98, Kar98 etc.
Calfed
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: Military Surplus k98ks commonly found at gun shows

#136 Post by Calfed » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:01 pm

I've got an RC 1941 Portuguese K98.

Had an RC Banner K98, but sold it some time back.

Lumberjack
Norway

#137 Post by Lumberjack » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:00 am

M98k-f1 cost approx $ 100-150 in norway ;)

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#138 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:51 pm

Calfed, Here is a question.

Did both of those rifles, the RC 1941 Portuguese K98 and the Mauser banner, have a stock serial number stamped into the left side of the stock, parallel to the barrel and perpendicular to the butt plate (Like most RC's)? SECOND, do the smaller parts consist of mixed serial numbers or mostly matching parts on those rifles. Very nice examples. Maybe you can show the butt stamping. Thank You

I see they both have the X & electro number on the bolts and lacking a sight hood as well as a cleaning rod. I got to say those were some nice finds- :dance: :dance: :dance: How did you stumble onto such examples? I have never seen non German code ones.
:doh: :drool: :drool: THANK YOU FOR POSTING THESE EXAMPLES

Lumber jack, I would freak out :o :o if I found a Norwegian K98k in Wi at even double that price :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: You just do not see
them. It's the last rifle on the bucket list. http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/world-fir ... f1-681088/
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Calfed
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#139 Post by Calfed » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:05 am

72 usmc wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:51 pm
Calfed, Here is a question.

Did both of those rifles, the RC 1941 Portuguese K98 and the Mauser banner, have a stock serial number stamped into the left side of the stock, parallel to the barrel and perpendicular to the butt plate (Like most RC's)? SECOND, do the smaller parts consist of mixed serial numbers or mostly matching parts on those rifles. Very nice examples. Maybe you can show the butt stamping. Thank You

I see they both have the X & electro number on the bolts and lacking a sight hood as well as a cleaning rod. I got to say those were some nice finds- :dance: :dance: :dance: How did you stumble onto such examples? I have never seen non German code ones.
:doh: :drool: :drool: THANK YOU FOR POSTING THESE EXAMPLES

Lumber jack, I would freak out :o :o if I found a Norwegian K98k in Wi at even double that price :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: You just do not see
them. It's the last rifle on the bucket list. http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/world-fir ... f1-681088/
Thanks, 72usmc. Both rifles have the serial numbers stamped into the butt stock.

I got both of these at Proxibid auctions about 10 years ago...

www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail.asp?size ... 662&aiid=4

https://www.proxibid.com/German-Portugu ... 285601#Top

The smaller parts are mixed serial numbers. I do not have the Banner RC anymore...sold it a few years back. I'll look and see if I can find any more pictures of it.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#140 Post by 72 usmc » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:11 pm

This rare Portuguese contract, German produced and later used 98k Mauser bolt action rifle was used by German troops and subsequently captured by the Soviet in WWII. Caliber: 8mm (8x57). Stock finish: 85% metal finish: 95%, but light pitting as soviet refinished. Bore condition: good, but with a dark bore. Matching: yes, except they are Soviet electro-penciling. Markings: German WWII, good Waffenampts, good 1941 Portuguese crest, and no visible import marks
Interesting that it did not have the import mark. They must have come out of the shipping box so fast this one failed to get an import mark. I have seen a few of these that did not get import marks at the barrels end. Most RC came in prior to the mark being on the receiver.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#141 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:14 pm

All of a sudden these are coming out of the wood work?? Libertytreecollectors just got one in and it is A Russian Capture 1941 Portuguese K98k; NOTE, it does not have the normal RC serial number deeply stamped into the left side of the stock. Very odd, Ivan must have been sleeping or had too much Vodka that day during the rebuild.
see : https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/p ... dcategory=
Libertytreecollectors description is as follows:
Serial number #G7302 This offering is for the pictured Portuguese K98 Mauser WW2 Rifle. Maker marked from the Mauser Werek AG Oberndorf factory on military contract to Portugal, dated 1941 it was likely never delivered as it was among the Russian captured Mauser rifles from WW2.

Russian refurbished and put into storage thru the cold war years. No matching serial numbers, full blue/black refinish on the metal, over a few frost or pitting spots. Mechanically appears fine. Neat Portuguese crest atop the receiver.

Sound laminated stock and hand guard set.

Chambered in 8mm Mauser the bore has very good rifling, slight frost, counter bored. Import marked.

After it is sold, the above link with its excellent Libertytreecollector's photos goes dead. Therefore, I reposted some of the more interesting photos this fine specimen for a fixed documentation:
302K98.1.JPG
302K98.6.JPG
302K98.2.JPG
302K98.3.JPG
302K98.9.JPG
Last edited by 72 usmc on Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#142 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:17 pm

More photos of the Libertytreecollectors specimen; Source is their photos
302K98.10.jpg
302K98.11.jpg
302K98.12.jpg
302K98.13.jpg
302K98.14.jpg

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#143 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:18 pm

More of the above Libertytreecollectors specimen: I bet this will sell in a week. :doh: ( update 23:30: it sold in 6 hours of this posting) IN ONE DAY! RCs must be holding values. Note the electro-written numbers on all the mismatched parts. Line outs are through the original German serial numbers. In addition, someone added the cleaning rod, sight hood, and capture screws. A nice Russian X is on the receiver. The stock may have been toned down so it is less of a Russian, thick, red shellac, or it is one of the lighter red brown stock examples that I have seen. I do not see any evidence of thick shellac in the crevices? The odd thing about this specimen is the lack of an application of the RC serial number to the stock. Maybe this is restocked into a more German looking stock and the original RC stock was discarded????? The stock washer is also in the white and not the RC black color generally observed. All RCs have so much variation in there rebuild applications, it is difficult to know what was its original state. It is also counterbored and import marked. The last of the RC batches from 10 years ago did have some counter bores. Most RC K98ks lacked this feature. The import mark is at the bottom of the barrel, but there is no mention of who's it is. The last picture shows a wee bit of the import mark. Click on the photo to enlarge so you can make it out. Value of this is at approximately $625. Thank You Liberty for posting such a nice specimen. I hope this one goes into their reference library.
302K98.15.jpg
302K98.5.JPG

Calfed
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#144 Post by Calfed » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:55 am

72 usmc wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:18 pm
More of the above Libertytreecollectors specimen: I bet this will sell in a week. :doh: ( update 23:30: it sold in 6 hours of this posting) IN ONE DAY! RCs must be holding values. Note the electro-written numbers on all the mismatched parts. Line outs are through the original German serial numbers. In addition, someone added the cleaning rod, sight hood, and capture screws. A nice Russian X is on the receiver. The stock may have been toned down so it is less of a Russian, thick, red shellac, or it is one of the lighter red brown stock examples that I have seen. I do not see any evidence of thick shellac in the crevices? The odd thing about this specimen is the lack of an application of the RC serial number to the stock. Maybe this is restocked into a more German looking stock and the original RC stock was discarded????? The stock washer is also in the white and not the RC black color generally observed. All RCs have so much variation in there rebuild applications, it is difficult to know what was its original state. It is also counterbored and import marked. The last of the RC batches from 10 years ago did have some counter bores. Most RC K98ks lacked this feature. The import mark is at the bottom of the barrel, but there is no mention of who's it is. The last picture shows a wee bit of the import mark. Click on the photo to enlarge so you can make it out. Value of this is at approximately $625. Thank You Liberty for posting such a nice specimen. I hope this one goes into their reference library.
302K98.15.jpg

302K98.5.JPG
My 1941 Portuguese RC also lacks the red shellac of most RC K98's.

Return to “German Rifles”