http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Dry Firing?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:17 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

GaryVR wrote:
Most bolt action rifle can be decocked by lifting the bolt, pulling the trigger, and then putting the bolt back down while holding the trigger.

That is absolutley correct.

Epoo

Dont p--- off the cat!
https://www.facebook.com/jeff.fredericksen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:53 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Well... I haven't been here for some time, and Epoo and the others are right when they say that dry-firing a rifle damages the firing pin unless there is a snap cap in the chamber.

I didn't know the pin would slam into the inside of the bolt face without the primer there to slow it down! You would eventually peen the heck out of the pin, and eventually break off the tip if you did it enough.

Like any subject, you don't know everything right away, nor will you learn everything in the end- but you do pick up info along the way :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:05 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Since I neck size only I use each fired case once as a snapper, this micro sizes the fire formed case body so that the reloaded round chambers easily. It also helps in refining trigger control.
The heavy pin strike of the average milsurp action on the expended primer drives the fired case forward just far enough to loosen its fit in the chamber.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:48 am 
Match Winner
Match Winner

SavageShooter: This is great info :thumb:

So, to make sure I'm clear on this: you dry fire on the fired case before doing any further work on the brass, right? And this bumps the shoulder back just a hair, correct?

By how much (i.e., by how many firings) does this extend the useful life of the case before you have to full-length resize it?

Thanks!

--Prof

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:00 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

professrh wrote:
SavageShooter: This is great info :thumb:

So, to make sure I'm clear on this: you dry fire on the fired case before doing any further work on the brass, right? And this bumps the shoulder back just a hair, correct?

By how much (i.e., by how many firings) does this extend the useful life of the case before you have to full-length resize it?

Thanks!

--Prof

Haven't visited this section recently or I'd have answered sooner.

Since using my methods, along with my rifles having very good headspace, I've never lost a case to cracking. Some cases have lasted more than thirty reloads.
Main problem was when I messed up on annealing the necks on a few and these got deeply scratched by a bad magazine lip which resulted in a small split below the case mouth when next fired. Those were the only ones I discarded.
None needed full length resizing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:42 am 
Match Winner
Match Winner

Excellent. Thanks!

--Prof