Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Lebel 1885/93 sniper rifle on Gunbroker

Les Fusils Militaires Français, Chassepot, Gras, Lebel, Berthier et MAS 36
indy1919a4
United States of America

Lebel 1885/93 sniper rifle on Gunbroker

#1 Post by indy1919a4 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:24 pm

I have never seen such a beastie before, not my auction... If it was I would end the auction and keep it... :)

http://www.gunbroker.com/Item/660566991

Smokey
United States of America

Re: Lebel 1885/93 sniper rifle on Gunbroker

#2 Post by Smokey » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:28 pm

From my own experience, the Lebel is a far better rifle than the "armchair" types rate it. It's powerful, just as accurate as most of it's contemporaries, reliable (with a little technique) and operates about as fast as other rifles with the bolt handle that far forward (Moisin-Nagant, Carcano etc.). It would hold ten rounds and while slower to reload than the charger-loaded rifles; in most of the engagements I read about it was not fired empty before the soldier had a chance to reload.
Smirk if you want, but it works extremely as a single shot, holding the magazine for when things got hot.
Arguing with someone who denounces reason is like administering medicine to a corpse.

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

Re: Lebel 1885/93 sniper rifle on Gunbroker

#3 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:56 pm

I love my Lebel, but I'd never put a scope on it. I think this might have to do with the video game on WWI out there. 8mm Lebel rounds are the next best thing to stick in a rifle besides black powder ammo.

RE: Video game. Shame there isn't more shell fire present so it would be realistic, not to mention gas and collapsing trenches from heavy fire and rain. Ah to read the battles around Verdun makes a video game seem lame.

Best Regards,

Mark

Return to “French Rifles”