Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Another berthier from Vietnam

Les Fusils Militaires Français, Chassepot, Gras, Lebel, Berthier et MAS 36
burban89
United States of America

Another berthier from Vietnam

#1 Post by burban89 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:07 pm

Here's another berthier that I have that came from a Vietnam vet. I purchased this berthier from the son of the vet since the vet had passed away prior to us meeting. The bolt head was missing and the stock had been cut in two places and crudely repaired on the wrist section. I pointed out the flaws in it and the son agreed that it wouldn't be worth a whole lot so we ended up settling at $60 for it. After I found a bolt head at Liberty Tree I cleaned up the surface rust and put some BLO on the stock. After that I secured the wrist repair with some two ton apoxy and did the same with the cut underneath the front sling swivel. Every part besides the bolt head is matching and from some investigation it turns out this little carbine's been around a while. It started out life as a model 1890 carbine and it still sports its original barrel from 1890. After that it went through every upgrade that a berthier could go through until it reached the point it's at now. I know I could never sell it as a Vietnam bring back but considering who I purchased it from it means a lot to me to have another rifle bring back from Vietnam seeing as how I only have three rifles from there.
Attachments
image362.jpg
image362.jpg (46.68 KiB) Viewed 2554 times
image361.jpg
image360.jpg
image359.jpg
image359.jpg (50.06 KiB) Viewed 2554 times
image358.jpg

SmokinTurkey
United States of America

Re: Another berthier from Vietnam

#2 Post by SmokinTurkey » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:41 pm

Interesting rifle! Definitely been there done that!

nmcollektor
United States of America

#3 Post by nmcollektor » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:09 pm

Very cool.

If you're still in touch with the son and can get him to write a letter about the rifle's provenance - even though you have no official docs it would greatly increase the value, IMHO.

burban89
United States of America

#4 Post by burban89 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:40 pm

nmcollektor wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:09 pm
Very cool.

If you're still in touch with the son and can get him to write a letter about the rifle's provenance - even though you have no official docs it would greatly increase the value, IMHO.
I can give it a try but I haven't seen him before that sale and I haven't seen him since so it might have just been a one time thing. Either way if I did want to sell it I could just leave off the Vietnam aspect and sell it as is which should give me a little profit seeing as I'm only about $100 into it all in.

Return to “French Rifles”