Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Remington Lebel Berthier 07-15

Les Fusils Militaires Français, Chassepot, Gras, Lebel, Berthier et MAS 36
Candyman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Remington Lebel Berthier 07-15

#1 Post by Candyman » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:28 am

I walked into one of the local shops and found this rifle sitting on the rack.
I wasn't going to buy it at first, but went back a day or two later and picked it up.
I'm really not into French rifles so, I was not sure if I was going to keeping it long. When I got home with it my oldest son said that we should keep it so, it's still here.
It appears to be all original. The stock was a little dry and there was a little surface rust in a few spots.
I give it a light cleaning, just a tad more then wiping it off with a dry paper towel.

Remington started building the rifles around 1917, if I remember right. The contract was for 300,000 rifles Remington had somewhere around 150,000 rifles built when the French canceled the order, due to the clam that the chamber and barrels did not meet French speculations. This clam was BS. The light at the end of the tunnel could be seen, the war was coming to an end. They just didn't want to pay for the contract.
The Remington Lebel Berthier 07-15 is just as good, if not better, then the French made ones.
After being stuck with the rifles Remington sold them on the open market. They even started making ammo for the rifles. Many were sporterized by gunsmiths so, finding one in original configuration is hard. When I bought this rifle in 2014 it was worth approx. $600, which was double the value of the French rifle. Now it is worth about $800, but with the way surplus rifles have been selling at auctions, it would sell somewhere between $1000 to $2000.

retread12345678
United States of America

Re: Remington Lebel Berthier 07-15i

#2 Post by retread12345678 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:11 pm

These are nice to use in a collection of guns built by US firms for foreign belligerents
I have seen a couple of these with prop house markings

B32dominator
United States of America

Re: Remington Lebel Berthier 07-15

#3 Post by B32dominator » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:18 pm

Beautiful rifle and interesting back history. Looks like that one was just put away and used much after it was purchased.

Return to “French Rifles”