Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

MAS 36 winter cleaning

Les Fusils Militaires Français, Chassepot, Gras, Lebel, Berthier et MAS 36
Vandervecken
United States of America

MAS 36 winter cleaning

#1 Post by Vandervecken » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:35 pm

I tore down my mas 36 for a detail clean and maybe a go at a better trigger. I did a light polish job on the trigger contact surfaces. Had a heck of a time getting the trigger group to receiver pin back in. I even used a pin sized punch as a slave pin and finally got it in. Re-assembled the rifle and installed the bolt. When I pulled the trigger I found a much smoother let off. THEN I retracted the bolt and it came completely out. THEN I glanced down at the floor and found the small spring from the trigger group looking at me. Re-do spring back in. Bolt stop works now. Grrrr.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

Re: MAS 36 winter cleaning

#2 Post by 72 usmc » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:22 pm

Generally you do not want to remove the wood because it changes the zero & bedding of the rifle as set at the armory. Here is a neat video, one of the better ones on my favorite rifle> https://www.full30.com/watch/MDA5ODMy/m ... nto-action
Last edited by 72 usmc on Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

steamer
United States of America

#3 Post by steamer » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:23 pm

I hate it when that happens - for me, it was the forearm support spring on an SMLE. Oh well, ya get better at it every time you do a disassembly/reassembly.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#4 Post by 72 usmc » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:26 pm

Here is a nice take down, cartoon video, that is actually helpful for those that just got a Mas 36

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_T1vAeu-xc
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

indy1919a4
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#5 Post by indy1919a4 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:53 pm

I do love those animated take down & how they work videos.. I really do not know what we did with out them before

Return to “French Rifles”