Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

MAS 36

Les Fusils Militaires Français, Chassepot, Gras, Lebel, Berthier et MAS 36
LouisCali
United States of America

MAS 36

#1 Post by LouisCali » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:10 am

Here's the MAS 36 I got a number of years back, it is a Century import but they were a little light on the stamp for this one fortunately.

The bayonet though appears to have been modified.
Attachments
MAS.jpg
MAS_3.jpg
MAS_2.jpg

vandle
Australia

Re: MAS 36

#2 Post by vandle » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:18 pm

The bayonet is indeed modified.
Someone went to a lot of effort to do that.

I love shooting my Mas, its accurate and compact.
Enjoy it
Life is tough, tougher if your stupid

indy1919a4
United States of America

#3 Post by indy1919a4 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:26 pm

LouisCali, real nice rifle, but hey can we get some close ups on the bayonet.. That is exotic looking, looks like someone spent some time on that..

LouisCali
United States of America

#4 Post by LouisCali » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:54 am

The bayonet was really done well, it's still straight despite all the twisting. I'll have to get it out of the safe when I'm back in town.

Smokey
United States of America

#5 Post by Smokey » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:42 pm

I worked for a while with someone's MAS 36 several years ago. French doctrine involved filling the magazine, then pressing the cartridges down to close the bolt on an empty chamber. Instead of working a safety, you cycled the bolt. (Please correct me if I got that wrong.)
It shot pretty well with 180gr handloads driven around 2400 fps. That should also be adequate for most of the critters folks have to deal with.
I carried it with a round in the chamber, and my finger well away from the trigger.
Arguing with someone who denounces reason is like administering medicine to a corpse.

The Zieg
United States of America

#6 Post by The Zieg » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:37 am

Correct. You don't work the safety on a MAS 36 because it doesn't have one. 😁

Zieg

kelt
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
France

#7 Post by kelt » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:09 am

Depending on the situation, need for instant fire or not, the bolt could be closed on an empty chamber with the firing pin released, or on loaded chamber with still the firing pin released in which case only a flick of the handle was needed to arm the firing pin.

indy1919a4
United States of America

#8 Post by indy1919a4 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:02 pm

kelt wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:09 am
Depending on the situation, need for instant fire or not, the bolt could be closed on an empty chamber with the firing pin released, or on loaded chamber with still the firing pin released in which case only a flick of the handle was needed to arm the firing pin.
I never really thought of that before, but the later action is just as good as a safety.. Tres Chic

Smokey
United States of America

#9 Post by Smokey » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:01 am

Having the round chambered with the firing pin down would have it up against the primer under considerable pressure from the spring. I'm not sure it's a good practice. Yes it can be done by holding the trigger down before locking the bolt. Probably best to have an empty chamber.
Arguing with someone who denounces reason is like administering medicine to a corpse.

LouisCali
United States of America

#10 Post by LouisCali » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:08 am

Not quite sure how I feel about a firing pin resting on a primer, it's probably fine since it's just resting, but I still don't like it.

kelt
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
France

#11 Post by kelt » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:19 pm

Guys, we are discussing military rifles and how they were handled by seasoned soldiers on the frontline where one extra cartridge meant a lot!

The military ammunitions in 7,5x54 had a very strong primer system to work safely in machineguns (LMG 24-29, MAC 31) and FSA.

I am not advocating doing it nowadays at the shooting range or when hunting, I mentioned it to share practical knowledge.

Smokey
United States of America

#12 Post by Smokey » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:51 pm

Kelt, Understand the difference with French ammunition. I'm also somewhat ignorant of what the French troops actually did using the rifle.
I don't mind being corrected. Still, with handloads or recently manufactured ammunition, the primers are probably softer.

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

#13 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:20 pm

I personally never knew why safeties were ever put on guns as the only safe gun has no bullets in it. Professional soldiers can do what they will in the field as it is their's and their's alone. Forgetting the safety is on before combat seems unsafe. As for untrained amateurs, I'd pull the bolt or take the bullets out before I declared my rifle safe. Still people shoot themselves fixing or cleaning their guns all the time. I bet they thought the safety was totally safe and it never is. Personally, I like the MAS-36 more since it has no safety. It is more of a grown up gun for responsible adults. As my buddy says, "Safeties, aren't."

Best Regards,

Mark

Return to “French Rifles”