Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

French MAS Rifle Serial Number Locations

Les Fusils Militaires Français, Chassepot, Gras, Lebel, Berthier et MAS 36
capt14k
United States of America

French MAS Rifle Serial Number Locations

#1 Post by capt14k » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:10 pm

I will attempt to start this thread off memory. I am sure Kelt knows much better than myself.

MAS-36 & MAS-36/51

1) Receiver
2) Bolt
3) Butt Stock
4) Fore Stock
5) Trigger Guard
6) Floor Plate
7) Bayonet

MAS-45

1) Receiver
2) Bolt

Were there more parts numbered on the MAS-45?

I will try and add pics for reference.
Last edited by capt14k on Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ffuries
United States of America

Re: French MAS Rifle Serial Number Locations

#2 Post by ffuries » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:17 pm

Just as a side note refurbed MAS 36's might not have the buttstock SN, bayonet SN, trigger guard SN, and magazine floor plate SN. As for the forestock SN where would this be? On the outside or in the barrel channel, I've never had mine out of the stock hence my ignorance on this one.

My P series MAS 36 refurb only has the SN on the left side of the receiver and bolt handle, there is the remains of a heavily sanded/buffed SN on the magazine floor plate, it appears as dimples.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

capt14k
United States of America

#3 Post by capt14k » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:21 pm

ffuries wrote:Just as a side note refurbed MAS 36's might not have the buttstock SN, bayonet SN, trigger guard SN, and magazine floor plate SN. As for the forestock SN where would this be? On the outside or in the barrel channel, I've never had mine out of the stock hence my ignorance on this one.

My P series MAS 36 refurb only has the SN on the left side of the receiver and bolt handle, there is the remains of a heavily sanded/buffed SN on the magazine floor plate, it appears as dimples.
Outside of stock. Yes many refurbs have un-numbered parts. Took me awhile to find both all marked and matching. Stilll need a Pre War and Tir Reduit

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ffuries
United States of America

#4 Post by ffuries » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:26 pm

capt14k wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:21 pm
ffuries wrote:Just as a side note refurbed MAS 36's might not have the buttstock SN, bayonet SN, trigger guard SN, and magazine floor plate SN. As for the forestock SN where would this be? On the outside or in the barrel channel, I've never had mine out of the stock hence my ignorance on this one.

Outside of stock. Yes many refurbs have un-numbered parts. Took me awhile to find both all marked and matching. Stilll need a Pre War and Tir Reduit

Not many MAS for sale around here, I've seen two for sale since I started collecting in January 2011 mine and one other. So my knowledge is limited at best. Glad to see some of the informative posts being recreated.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

capt14k
United States of America

#5 Post by capt14k » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:33 pm

ffuries wrote:
capt14k wrote:

Not many MAS for sale around here, I've seen two for sale since I started collecting in January 2011 mine and one other. So my knowledge is limited at best. Glad to see some of the informative posts being recreated.
Which numbers should be matching on a particular rifle is something I am always looking for. I am going to try and eventually post a list with pics for every rifle I have.

Just today I was trying to find which parts should be matching on a 1912 Chilean Short Rifle 7x57mm. Hopefully others can do the same and Mods can make matching numbers posts a sticky.

Ultimate goal is to drive more traffic to this forum and less to that other forum. I am Happy Kelt is the French Mod here. He was promised it there, but would have had to share it. Much better this way.

Last edited by capt14k on Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ffuries
United States of America

#6 Post by ffuries » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:36 pm

capt14k wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:33 pm
ffuries wrote:
capt14k wrote:

Which numbers should be matching on a particular rifle is something I am always looking for. I am going to try and eventually post a list with pics for every rifle I have.

Just today I was trying to find which parts should be matching on a 1912 Chilean Short Rifle 7x57mm. Hopefully others can do the same and Mods can make matching numbers posts a sticky.

Ultimate goal is to drive more traffic comes to this forum and less to that other forum. I am Happy Kelt is the French Mod here. He was promised it there, but would have had to share it. Much better this way.

Yeap Kelt is who schooled me on mine. I guess I could go back and start reposting my guns so we can get some information built back up in the various sub forums.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

capt14k
United States of America

#7 Post by capt14k » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:41 pm

That would be great. If we build it they will come.

For the record I don't think I've seen anyone as knowledgeable about French Rifles as Kelt. For him not to be a Mod of a French Forum is ridiculous.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

ffuries
United States of America

#8 Post by ffuries » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:17 pm

capt14k wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:41 pm
That would be great. If we build it they will come.

For the record I don't think I've seen anyone as knowledgeable about French Rifles as Kelt. For him not to be a Mod of a French Forum is ridiculous.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Agree with you there, Kelt is the go to guy on French rifles and pistols. Saved me lots of money and headaches, by schooling me on them, thus saving me from making a mistake on more than one occasion.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

Return to “French Rifles”